Thread: The art of hunting on public land

The art of hunting on public land

Hope you already got your share of hunting luck this season already. Having learned how to hunt on private land I believed the transition to hunt public land could be that much different. Man was I wrong... I am currently after my first BC WT or Mule buck, had two close calls so far, but the areas were too far away from home to get back frequently. I am currently trying to get to know my local turf a bit better, but there is so much to consider:

Zoning (Park, logging lot,private land), terrain, vegetation, food/ water sources, feeding vs. bedding areas, clear cuts, accessibility…

My approach so far:

• Google maps terrain map (shows park borders, native land, bigger logging roads for access)
    • Google Earth for satellite images (clear cuts, old growth, water sources (lakes, creeks))
    • Hunt buddy app/ hunting synopsis to find out about regulations, bag limits, LEH etc.
    • In person scouting, drive in, hike along the area looking for signs (which was not that successful yet)
    • Prepare area to hunt (find shooting alleys, clean trail of noise makers, build natural blind)
    • Come back a couple of days later early morning or late in the day

Here are snaps of an area I am trying to get lucky in. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UB0HD5H102vdc3Wt7QBD_QffNfg4izAj/view?usp=sharing

When out I am trying not to leave too much of my scent everywhere and be as minimal invasive to the area as possible. It seems anytime I find fresh track deer doesn’t seem to return. How often does deer frequent their spots? Do they travel bigger areas on public land? Did I spook them too much?

I feel I am getting closer and I am really working hard to fill the freezer this year. Maybe I get lucky with your help.

What is your approach? How do you read your maps?

Any feedback appreciated and i
    f you wanna join me to develop a new area together PM me.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The art of hunting on public land

White tail stick to an area. Mule deer migrate and wander. Right now the bucks will be on the does, so if there are does around, there will be a buck around. I find some bucks will kind of be territorial as long as there are does around, if they does leave so will he. I keep seeing the same huge 3x3 on the same hillside. He always has a couple ladies with him. Im sure he will go for a wander and disappear soon...not sure if he will get bigger, he looks pretty mature and I think I found an old shed of his, was still a big 3 point...

If your spot has you seeing deer, keep at it, learn it, wander around in it. I have some spots that are basically mine exclusively...Ive seen 1 other dad/son walking my area (trail cam pics) and have never seen another sole on their feet (out of the truck) and so they don't know what they are missing only a 100yds away...the deer don't often come within site of the roads in this spot...
    Last edited by Darksith; 11-26-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

yes once you find a pocket holding deer its all about time there and ladie luck..
    its not uncommon for me to shoot deer in the same spot plus or minus 100yards year after year...
    this goes for all deer speiceis aswell.

As far as maps and public vs private and leased land goes, I have found the Province's tools very helpful. If you're already familiar with Google Earth take a look at the FCBC Discovery Tool: http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/mapping/ or if you just have a web browser handy I would take a look at iMapBC https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/d...mapping/imapbc

It looks like you're taking an organized approach to it, so I'm sure you'll connect one of these days. Maybe you already do this, but I'll suggest:
    1. decide on a few different stake-out locations, your choice of which will depend on which way the wind will blow on the morning you arrive.
    2. get there before dark and wait for first light.
    3. if no luck by an hour or so after first light, start slowly hunting into the wind towards the cover that you think the deer might be heading to (my guess would be some high benches, or one of the ravines on the far left or right of your pic).

Regarding maps, download the TopoMaps + from the app store. Set it to 'track" as you hike, and add waypoints of rubs, buck shit, trails etc. Over time you'll have a pretty good idea of where they are just by looking at the accumulated way points.

I've heard varying opinions on how sensitive bucks are to your smell. eg they won't come back to the area for days after smelling you, or they don't give a shit. Well this weekend a large 2-pt mule smelled our tracks one day, and came back to the same spot the next. He didn't seem to care. Maybe a more mature buck would care.. But if you see a thicket with a bed in it, I tend to walk around it and not through it just in case.

Happy to show you a spot one of these days if you're North Van.