Thread: Future of salmon sports fishery in Juan de Fuca

Threaded View

Future of salmon sports fishery in Juan de Fuca

The federal governments recognition or commitment to the salmon sports fishery on Juan de Fuca is virtually non existent .The so called ‘wild salmon’ policy as merely an excuse to do nothing and watch while the numbers of Chinook dwindled along with the average size. A good sized salmon was in the 30 lb range and abundant,now if you get one it is in the teens or mid 20’s. The once predictable winter spring fishery with fish in the 8-10 lb range is hardly worth going out for ,and a good fish is now 3 to 5- If you can land one without a seal taking it.This is nothing new,the sports fishery advisory has been trying to get the Feds attention for years,but the only response has been most re closure and restrictions-anything but the obvious solution- put more fish on the system combined with predator(seal) control.Only now they are waking up to the fact their ‘wild salmon’ policy has failed by the plight of the resident orcas who it appears are getting the attention while the whole sports fishery is allowed to die on the vine.For the first time in over 20 years I’m not sure if I’m even going to book my 10 trips with a guide next year..I love getting out and I don’t mind spending the money for a $300 charter,if there is at least a chance at getting a trophy Chinook,but that appears to be a fading memory.I note the volunteer Sooke sports fishery has been putting smolts in the harbour to try and boost the numbers ,but that is a drop in the bucket,if the sports fishery is to survive,they need massive intervention from Ottawa who so far seems only interested in collecting the revenue from licences.As it now stands it looks like I will never be able to take my grandchildren out off Sooke for a trip to go salmon fishing with grandpa ..a case of pure neglect by the federal government who it seems are incapable of being proactive
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 11-26-2018 at 08:04 AM.

2. Site Sponsor