Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future of salmon sports fishery in Juan de Fuca

Future of salmon sports fishery in Juan de Fuca

The federal governments recognition or commitment to the salmon sports fishery on Juan de Fuca is virtually non existent .The so called ‘wild salmon’ policy as merely an excuse to do nothing and watch while the numbers of Chinook dwindled along with the average size. A good sized salmon was in the 30 lb range and abundant,now if you get one it is in the teens or mid 20’s. The once predictable winter spring fishery with fish in the 8-10 lb range is hardly worth going out for ,and a good fish is now 3 to 5- If you can land one without a seal taking it.This is nothing new,the sports fishery advisory has been trying to get the Feds attention for years,but the only response has been most re closure and restrictions-anything but the obvious solution- put more fish on the system combined with predator(seal) control.Only now they are waking up to the fact their ‘wild salmon’ policy has failed by the plight of the resident orcas who it appears are getting the attention while the whole sports fishery is allowed to die on the vine.For the first time in over 20 years I’m not sure if I’m even going to book my 10 trips with a guide next year..I love getting out and I don’t mind spending the money for a $300 charter,if there is at least a chance at getting a trophy Chinook,but that appears to be a fading memory.I note the volunteer Sooke sports fishery has been putting smolts in the harbour to try and boost the numbers ,but that is a drop in the bucket,if the sports fishery is to survive,they need massive intervention from Ottawa who so far seems only interested in collecting the revenue from licences.As it now stands it looks like I will never be able to take my grandchildren out off Sooke for a trip to go salmon fishing with grandpa ..a case of pure neglect by the federal government who it seems are incapable of being proactive
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 11-26-2018 at 08:04 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Future of salmon sports fishery in Juan de Fuca

Correct and its happening all over BC's coastline, north to south. Serious declines in all fisheries. DFO consistently scrapes fish off the bottom of the barrel for commercial and FN interests.

No consideration for recreational angling.

No consideration for future fish stocks.

SFAB/C process is repugnant, and a waste of time and energy - its simply DFO's "infomercial".

There a huge infrastructure that supports the recreational salmon fishery from tourism hotels to gear and that’s not only not recognized by the federal government but being sacrificed,all they do is give it lip service

For Decades and decades growing up and in my prime, fish and wildlife belonged to the people. Gradually as commercial harvesters strength grew, especially in political cirlcles, the table was turned and fish and wildlife no longer belonged to the people. It was given to the business sector, who in all there wisdom, knew the real fishing would eventually not be viable, came up with Fish farms to create more profit and continue and ensure the existence of big business in the Salmon industry for decades and decades to come.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

The difference in the size alone of the average Chinook in the last 20 yrs should be alarming enough and reason for changes to the DFO's version of regulation, let alone all the others that are also being neglected and they turn their back on.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

First to go was the commercial trollers ,and with it the lifestyle with healthy communities where people could make a decent living and raise their kids .Now the recreational salmon fishing industry is going the same way. It’s not unusual to see charter boats worth upwards of $100,000 catering to people paying $300 to 500 a trip.I spend $2500 a year chartering ,but if I have little expectation of getting a Chinook, it’s just a boat ride.We got shut out of fishing west of Otter point ,including halibut ,so that means running to Jordan river or even in the bay off gordon beach for a halibut is not an option anymore .And now I see they are planning even more restrictions,it’s getting to the point it’s just not worth chartering anymore.Looks like all that’s left is the pink run every two years...

Protecting seals is like a farmer trying to grow a crop without controlling the weeds.

Good letter to the editor in this mornings Times Colonist....seems that the much publicized ‘endangered resident orca ‘population has actually remained stable since first being counted back in the 60’s,78 animals never more than 96 in 1996 and now falling back to average historical population numbers ( the figure used to raise the alarm about imminent extinction) But despite the actual record indicating the resident killer whale population is within normal variation numbers the sports fishery is now the scapegoat and being severely cut back...meanwhile Ottawa ignores the obvious solution- put more Chinook back in the system....bit of trivia for you,the money allocated to these ‘endangered’ killer whales now amounts to about $840,000 for each and every southern resident orca...

DFO is negligent in its duty and has been for years. Hamstrung by the courts by various user and special interest groups they cannot control anything and youre right, the wild salmon policy is just a way out for them to do any kind of resource management of the fish.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Oregon and California were faced with a similar decline in both Chinook and coho( silvers) but the dferance was they spent the money and embarqued on a massive hatchery/ stream enhancement program and 20 years later enjoy a healthy recreational salmon fishery,while the Canadians did virtually NOTHING ,claiming the ‘wild salmon’( do nothing) policy....today the RESULTS are evident,and quite frankly,without the US hatchery fish,the Sooke recreational salmon fishery would be non existent...( last summers study based on tissue samples proved that,we are catching american hatchery fish)