Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Future of salmon sports fishery in Juan de Fuca

Re: Future of salmon sports fishery in Juan de Fuca

Hundreds of tonnes of cattle crap seeping into the Fraser aint helping....
    Decades of Victoria dumping raw sewage into the ocean.......aint helping.
    Everyone fighting over who gets how much of a shrinking resource......aint helping.
    No one really trying to make more fish........aint helping.
    Gov decisions in an attempt to be perceived as making a difference while in reality it has zero impact (fin fish closures).......aint helping.
    Seal populations breaking 300,000 and growing.......aint helping.
    Non sustainable runs being netted......aint helping.
    A premier who is aligned with eco organizations yet flushes his toilet right into the ocean yet preaches healthy eco systems, protect the environment etc.

Other than that.......all good
    Insanity.
    Last edited by Ourea; 12-05-2018 at 03:00 PM.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Small west coast Communities are already struggling to survive and slapping closures on salmon fishing will just add to their woes .The recreational fishery is worth about $1 billion and that is being sacrificed to ‘save the whales’ by simplistic closures and restrictions that quite frankly are meaningless without more salmon being put into the system.....the ‘wild salmon’ policy was merely an excuse to do nothing.The volunteer sports fishermen in Sooke have been pen raising and releasing Chinook smolts in an effort to put more Chinook into the system,and been rewarded by even more restrictions ...What’s really discouraging if even if the Feds FINALLY work up,it’s too late for me ,restoring the fishery would take a minimum of 10 years to reverse the course of government neglect and I just don’t HAVE 10 years..the loss of my 10 charters will not make any difference to the industry,but if you multiply that 1000 times over it will
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 12-07-2018 at 08:07 AM.

I see the US has approved a sea lion cull in an effort to help spawning salmon return unmolested.The sea lion population has increased tenfold and preditor control must be part of the overall plan to restore Chinook populations Will the DFO have balls to stand up to the politically correct ‘save the seals ‘ wacko’s ?

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    I see the US has approved a sea lion cull in an effort to help spawning salmon return unmolested.The sea lion population has increased tenfold and preditor control must be part of the overall plan to restore Chinook populations Will the DFO have balls to stand up to the politically correct ‘save the seals ‘ wacko’s ?
    They might, but most likely wait until it's too late.....

I know,it’s disheartening ...seems nobody has the balls to actually DO something,other than ‘study’ it and reducing preditors is such an obvious factor that has to be included in the solution... they’ll ‘study’ it unto the last salmon has gone. Not much point in increasing the salmon if preditors are picking them off at the rivermouth.

I am all for save the whales as they bring in tourist $$. I am also an advocate of saving the Chinook salmon. If this means cutting back on the commercial harvest (look who owns the licenses), controlling predators, limiting river nets and increasing hatchery output, I am all in.
    But when we have a Provincial Government whose mandate is all about green stuff and a fishery managed from Ottawa, who don't really care, then the story ending has been all but written.
    I agree with much of what has been stated previously, let the people in know share advice on management.

No worries guys. The word around the LML is you can buy salmon for $12 to $15 a piece from the FN. Put in your order and it could be delivered right to your door. Why pay big charter fee's?
    Ask around and there might be moose and deer available too.
    Wonder why there isn't any fish left for whitey's. Sad day it is.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I don’t object to a sustenance fishery or even hunt( providing the species is in abundance and. Not at risk) but I strongly object to selling fish or meat for profit.But before we scream too loud,remember who is buying...

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    I don’t object to a sustenance fishery or even hunt( providing the species is in abundance and. Not at risk) but I strongly object to selling fish or meat for profit.But before we scream too loud,remember who is buying...
    Exactly right^^^^^
    The public needs to be enlightened on what they are supporting if they are buying fish from those that are assisting in destroying the Salmon fishery (and others) in this province, maybe they wouldn't buy the fish.

Heard yesterday that the DFO gave a thumbs down to putting in Chinook smolts into Victoria harbour because the returning fish might try to spawn in the Colquitz river and compete with the existing fish( not that there are many) same went for pen raising pinks to enhance the recreational fishery in Esquimalt harbour.It seems every time somebody comes up with a practical solution to put more fish back in the system some bean counter quashes it.Face it,the ‘wild salmon’ initiative just didn't work...
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 12-12-2018 at 09:05 AM.