Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some nice bucks showing up in our new spot

Re: Some nice bucks showing up in our new spot

Those are nice deer! Good luck

Find out who has a trap line in the area and get them to target the wolves.

nice bucks CG, got yourself a honey hole to focus on, those are solid bucks!!
    They look like 2 solid BT bucks to me, tails vary in color amongst the BT deer, some black the whole tail and some half or darker at the tip so dont see any other hibrid traits? What are you guys seeing that indicates that?
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    nice bucks CG, got yourself a honey hole to focus on, those are solid bucks!!
    They look like 2 solid BT bucks to me, tails vary in color amongst the BT deer, some black the whole tail and some half or darker at the tip so dont see any other hibrid traits? What are you guys seeing that indicates that?
    Thanks! I hope it checks out. With all the rubs in there, I suspect those bucks aren't cruising for miles and miles. Seems like finding out where the bucks are is mission complete. Now comes the tricky part of trying to outsmart one, out in the open, in daylight. Hopefully this storm doesn't wash out access so I can get back in there in a few days. I'm pretty bummed out that I got busted rattling. We never saw it, just heard it circle around downwind and let out a bit of a snort. No stomp, no loud blow or anything. I should have known better too. Pretty sure I smelled him on our way in. Good chance we walked right by... should have investigated the smell and went straight upwind. Having an internal debate now over whether to call or not, but leaning towards strictly still-hunting. Oooh I wish I had some more sick days or vacation days lol

I thought the tail looked a little more ropey on the first one and there was more white on the rump than I normally see on the deer around there. It has colour all the way down and antlers curve inwards though. Since you are from the island, your observations/judgement carry more weight than mine do!

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    The wolves are moving in They haven't found this little pocket yet afaik, but for the first time in 20 years we started hearing wolves howling in this valley and found their tracks. They are about 15km away now (and they are on some deer there for sure holding them up where they are... found a deer kill and deer hooves in scat... got that on video too) NO SEASON for them either, here in the heart of the Fraser Valley !! I could not legally shoot them if I wanted to. This spot gets really deep snow, so the wolves are going to dial in the trails this winter, guaranteed... they will make Region 2 one buck only and blame hunters.... and most hunters will agree the problem is hunters and beg for more regulations because Miley Cyrus and Axl Rose said so.
    Just picked up an Xbolt 223 heavy barrel (ridiculous accurate) for this exact problem. (The wolves, not Miley Cyrus)
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Love your videos, you are hitting that spot hard! Wishing you luck!

Well, it's crunch time.

I thought about the "first light" thread a little bit the last couple days, as well as the one where I was telling twoSevenO people rarely walked around in the bush where I hunt.

The first day, I was waiting for enough light to be able to see more than 40 yards. I didn't want to blow out the deer before I could see them. I still hunted for a couple hours and then heard what sounded like a predator call. I figured I would make the best of it and hoped it would spook some deer and get them moving, so I set up on what I figured was an escape route. After an hour or so hearing it off and on, I decided to try rattling to see if I could rattle them into me so we could chat. Did some loud obvious rattling, but no dice. I decided to go look for the source. It seemed like it wasn't coming too far from where I was parked, which kind of bothered me. Didn't they see my vehicle parked? As I got closer, it was difficult to pin-point, because it was moving around, not far, but a hundred yards here and there. Finally I am close enough, I know at any second I will be making contact. In my mind I am picturing someone sitting within line of site with an e-caller and I am hoping they are not going to shoot at any brush that moves. I want to go home at the end of the day LOL. As I worked my way though the final patch of brush, I finally figured out what was going on. It was a cougar hunter gather his 3 hounds... and they are wimpering and squealing. I should have known better. He still had no idea I was there. Neither did the dogs. I wanted to get his attention, without the dogs busting me, so whenever he looked like he was close to looking my way and the dogs weren't I'd wave and flail around. It wasn't working but after he had two of the dogs leashed up, I started whistling. All the dogs busted me instantly and the one off leash just stared but didnt run. Good boy! At this point I just say "hello" ... now he hears me but can't see me. I wave a bit more and take a few steps... now he sees me! *phew* ... very nice guy. He had no idea I was in there as my vehicle was parked a ways further back. Ended up chatting with him for 20-30 minutes. He's been hunting the valley for longer than I've been alive. Swapped some stories and ranted about current events like people who think re-habilitating bears is useful/succesful in any way, and people in downtown Vancouver who can't catch a bloody otter! LOL.

On the second morning at first light, it probably would have been better to wait until noon. I figure with those hounds running around and pooping, I probably should went to another spot, but decided to stick with it. All the vegetation was frozen solid. I am certain anything would have been able to hear me from 500M away. I decided to tip-toe (literally) into my spot in near dark and not do any still hunting at all. Turns out there is a stump on the way in to my favorite cluster of fir trees that has a throat patch, black nose, ears and antlers LOL. I should have taken a picture. I will next weekend. I sat there for 5 hours. Saw a dozen or so snowshoe hare but nothing else. I hung two more cameras, on good intersecting trails, tossed out a few apples and salt piles. I'd like to figure out what is going on. I have only seen one doe. This whole new spot might be a bust (maybe those bucks were just passing through cruising) at least at this time of year.

I have two days of hunting next weekend and then a full day on Saturday the 15th. Too bad I burned all my sick days and vacation days this year. Crunch time for sure.