Thread: Meateater fawn bleat

Meateater fawn bleat

Does anyone know what fawn bleat Rinella was using hunting Sitka BT in Alaska? It was quite effective. Can't seem to find it online.

Thanks.

-Tom

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Meateater fawn bleat

Any fawn distress call will do the job. I like the “deer stopper”.

I think it is actually a distress call he uses. Not sure what kind though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    Any fawn distress call will do the job. I like the “deer stopper”.
    I have the Deer Stopper too. Its funny - sometimes i had deer super interested and running in, other times it spooks the crap out of them and they bolt!

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    I have the Deer Stopper too. Its funny - sometimes i had deer super interested and running in, other times it spooks the crap out of them and they bolt!
    Funny you should say that. I’ve been using the deer stopper (and others) for 15-20 years now, and I’ve come to the conclusion that with Mule deer I only use them if they are already aware that I am there and something is up.
    Ive experimented so many times on deer that I could see but they didn’t know I was there. What I found using the deer stopper(distress or bleats) or kmeer deer is that with Mule deer once they hear the calling, rarely they come take a closer look, but most often they just get alert and curious, and then just leave. It’s always in my pocket because the best success I have is when they’re already aware I’m there. The call stops them when they start to leave almost every time and almost always holds there curiosity long enough for me to get a better look and possibly a shot. I’ve killed a lot of bucks this way and would not hunt without the deer stopper. So I have found that it very rarely brings them in from any kind of distance. If I just sit down and start using the call without knowing what’s around me, I believe from experience, that I will alert and push away a lot more Mule deer than I will draw in.

Have done the same thing with rattling to Mule deer bucks that didn’t know I was there. Never on nice big bucks because I would have shot them, but on medium sized 3 and 4 point bucks in late October and November. I found I could never get much more than casual glances or ear turns from them. Definitely never had any come on over to check out what was going on.
    Thats just my experiences.

Super interesting...

Just for fun once I used that call while truck hunting on the Island with a bunch of blacktail does on the road about 50m ahead of me. I stopped, hit the call a few times and all six of them started running towards the truck! They got within about 10m looking incredibly confused and concerned, "that man has my babies!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    Funny you should say that. I’ve been using the deer stopper (and others) for 15-20 years now, and I’ve come to the conclusion that with Mule deer I only use them if they are already aware that I am there and something is up.
    Ive experimented so many times on deer that I could see but they didn’t know I was there. What I found using the deer stopper(distress or bleats) or kmeer deer is that with Mule deer once they hear the calling, rarely they come take a closer look, but most often they just get alert and curious, and then just leave. It’s always in my pocket because the best success I have is when they’re already aware I’m there. The call stops them when they start to leave almost every time and almost always holds there curiosity long enough for me to get a better look and possibly a shot. I’ve killed a lot of bucks this way and would not hunt without the deer stopper. So I have found that it very rarely brings them in from any kind of distance. If I just sit down and start using the call without knowing what’s around me, I believe from experience, that I will alert and push away a lot more Mule deer than I will draw in.

Have done the same thing with rattling to Mule deer bucks that didn’t know I was there. Never on nice big bucks because I would have shot them, but on medium sized 3 and 4 point bucks in late October and November. I found I could never get much more than casual glances or ear turns from them. Definitely never had any come on over to check out what was going on.
    Thats just my experiences.

Called dozens of mule deer in this year alone with the deer stopper fawn distress. Most came charging in looking to save the day, if the herd had a lead doe anyway. No bucks worth poking showed up though, pre-rut they don't care. Havnt found a mule deer I couldn't stop with that call yet, WT not nearly as easy. BT fall for it as easily as mulies.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Has not worked on any blacktails for me but works awesome on black bears, they run off the road then poke their head out again after some steady hard calling. I like the can calls for deer.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA