Thread: Region 8 Pend Oreille Whitetail question

Question Region 8 Pend Oreille Whitetail question

Hi everyone,
    First timer here. I've been hunting a bit in Region 4 near the Pend Oreille road between Nelway and Waneta for Whitetail. Found a shed, seen some trails and droppings so thought it might be a half decent spot but haven't had any luck. Got a late start and can only really hunt weekends with my work right now. I've heard this area is heavily hunted and so am I just too late to the party? Seems like a decent deer habitat and I've been hunting some small openings as well as brushy areas that I can move through without making too much noise.

It's mixed Doug fir with some thick brush as well as some small openings. Some pretty steep sections, but some flats. Does this sound like a good spot? Haven't found any rub trees but have noticed other deer sign. Am I just late and the deer have already been made skittish? Or am I just being too smelly and loud? Or both?

Any tips or advice (or suggestions for other general areas around Salmo, no specifics of course!) would be much appreciated as I'm both new to hunting and the area. I have a bow so there's still hope yet!

Next season hope to get out earlier and do more preseason scouting but any ideas for the remainder of this year would be a great help!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Festival; 11-25-2018 at 08:21 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Region 8 Pend Oreille Whitetail question

a shadow of its former self like many areas in the southern interior, the pend oreille valley is largely a wintering area & until heavy snow arrives to the north & east, the whitetail deer just aren't in there in large numbers. ironically for your location perhaps but many of them are probably still hanging in the salmo area. also erie/beaver creek valleys. they move into the pend oreille once deep snow comes. then the wolves & cougars set to work...

Ok, thanks. That's good to know. What has changed in the valley compared to previous times?

In any case, closer to Salmo = closer to home. I'll check out some of those valleys, thank you for your advice.

The Pendy is in Region 4 not 8 like stated, just FYI.

Right! I was meaning to write 4-8 but just didn't for some reason. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Festival View Post
    Ok, thanks. That's good to know. What has changed in the valley compared to previous times?

In any case, closer to Salmo = closer to home. I'll check out some of those valleys, thank you for your advice.
    Gross miss-management of our wild life resources is what has happened. Welcome to our area.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

I saw good whitetail near rosebud lk.