Thread: Region 8 Pend Oreille Whitetail question

Threaded View

Question Region 8 Pend Oreille Whitetail question

Hi everyone,
    First timer here. I've been hunting a bit in Region 4 near the Pend Oreille road between Nelway and Waneta for Whitetail. Found a shed, seen some trails and droppings so thought it might be a half decent spot but haven't had any luck. Got a late start and can only really hunt weekends with my work right now. I've heard this area is heavily hunted and so am I just too late to the party? Seems like a decent deer habitat and I've been hunting some small openings as well as brushy areas that I can move through without making too much noise.

It's mixed Doug fir with some thick brush as well as some small openings. Some pretty steep sections, but some flats. Does this sound like a good spot? Haven't found any rub trees but have noticed other deer sign. Am I just late and the deer have already been made skittish? Or am I just being too smelly and loud? Or both?

Any tips or advice (or suggestions for other general areas around Salmo, no specifics of course!) would be much appreciated as I'm both new to hunting and the area. I have a bow so there's still hope yet!

Next season hope to get out earlier and do more preseason scouting but any ideas for the remainder of this year would be a great help!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Festival; 11-25-2018 at 08:21 AM.

2. Site Sponsor