Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive news from the ministry

Positive news from the ministry

I was chatting with a beauty of guy whose kid is in soccer with mine. This gent works with the ministry in the koots. I think this is some positive news.

I'll do my best to relay it but it's worth reaching out to your local govt biologists to seek clarity.

The koots are getting two new biologists. One in Cranbrook and one in Nelson.

The biologist mentioned that licence and tag revenue is going to be spent on wildlife management. Under the liberals it sounds like the bcwf had a larger role in the increased spending. The ndp has lessened bcwf's role and will spend more of the cash inside the government (note the pending hires above).

Now what's going to be contentious is that first Nation role in policy and management is going to be much larger and they will be a partner. This brings up the same ol contentions but please do not turn this into a first Nation bashing thread... Too many of those lately.

Buddy conceded that FN is contentious but their annual harvest is a huge unknown and that butchers throughout bc help with a harvest estimate.

If we had a better understanding of FN harvest numbers it was indicated that in some places allocations might actually increase. In short, the partnership will help with the overall data.

He indicated that FN interest groups have a lot of the same desires as resident hunters... Where's all the damn deer. So they want more as well.

My concern is that they want them all. Equality amongst FN sustinence and resident hunters is I think what we all want. Hopefully the partnership will remove some animosity.

West koot caribou was spotted across the border south of kookanoosa and has headed back into bc and was spotted around moyie lake.

Predator control is needed but unfortunately hunters can't do much of anything. 70% reduction is required and needs to be sustained.

Mentioned that 180 wolves were killed over the last while and they have already recovered 120.

Logging really affects caribou. Affects other ungulates but at a lesser extent.

Liked the way forests were manged decades ago when wildlife and forest management worked in partnership.

Big fan of the idea of decommissioning roads but costs were an issue with the lumber companies.

He has big concerns with mule deer. Not sure what will fix it.

Had some interesting recent studies on browse and how to encourage the growth of browse with higher nutritional value.

All that I can Remeber right now.

The big thing is that our licence and tag revenue is being reinvested and he indicated the DoF will not be receiving the funds due to their own revenue sources.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Positive news from the ministry

Unfortunately his concerns, when they get to the regional manager, director or minister may be swept under the carpet..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Actions speak louder than words....how many times have we been burned by political promises
    that never materialized?
    Unfortunately, I think the whole management, health, and recovery will only succeed if mony is involved.
    Private money. I see similar scenarios like what's down in the States where private parties have large
    tracts of land under their control to which they basically raise deer like ranchers raise cattle. Putting specialized
    food plots and weeding out the culls while strictly reducing any predators.

dapesche, great post and so well presented.

Some have been trumpeting the need to invest in wildlife and claim OUR money back out of general revenue and be dedicated to the resource.

It's slowly coming together.

Baby steps.

Again, great and well presented on ur behalf.
    Cheers

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

There can never be too much money. Any government redirecting money to general revenue is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    Equality amongst FN sustinence and resident hunters is I think what we all want.
    I would reword this "Equality amongst FN and resident hunters' sustenance is I think what we all want." Hunting for food should be everyone's right.

Had some interesting recent studies on browse and how to encourage the growth of browse with higher nutritional value.

How about stop the spraying for a start. This practice is destroying browse among other nasty side effects, like forest fires.

Private money. I see similar scenarios like what's down in the States where private parties have large
    tracts of land under their control to which they basically raise deer like ranchers raise cattle. Putting specialized
    food plots and weeding out the culls while strictly reducing any predators.

B.C. has enormous tracts of public land. We have the opportunity to create naturally sustaining habitat. With virtually no public land the U.S. has to use a different model, and yes it works for them.

Well put grizz.

FN being accountable for what they do in the bush? Great idea, but I'll believe it when I see it.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

sounds like your buddy has heard alot of things but has not suggested a fix for anything.
    The NDP are willing to spend more money on government jobs which is ass backwards to what should be happening. Rarely will a government Biologist do anything but study and then study again and maybe once more.
    The Bios that speak up get removed from their position.
    Biologists never seem to come up with any solutions but spend their time counting and then counting again until they only need 1 hand to count on.

Sorry to be so negative but what I said is reality.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    sounds like your buddy has heard alot of things but has not suggested a fix for anything.
    The NDP are willing to spend more money on government jobs which is ass backwards to what should be happening. Rarely will a government Biologist do anything but study and then study again and maybe once more.
    The Bios that speak up get removed from their position.
    Biologists never seem to come up with any solutions but spend their time counting and then counting again until they only need 1 hand to count on.

Sorry to be so negative but what I said is reality.
    Yup, have to say you're right. It's usually an exercise in futility for the biologists and scientists
    because even after their best studies are validated, the governments just toss them in favour of
    their own agendas. I experienced a similar scenario many years ago when my company had me
    test and write up a thorough report on a new prototype concrete hauling truck. I did so, making
    the asked for recommendations as well, only to have them shelve the report and order a bunch
    of the trucks with the cheapest running gear, and stripped down to as basic the law would allow.
    It back fired on those 'bean counters' though because those trucks couldn't do the job efficiently,
    and they were in the shop frequently as well which cost them far more than if they had bought
    the trucks equipped as was suggested. That fiasco put an end to the purchasing of trucks by
    inexperienced accountants right across North America because those cheap trucks were distributed
    all over the place, not just our part of the organization.

Of course the dp's won't support the new wildlife agency announced by the Libs
    then they don't have to support the financial investment promised either
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole