Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fx3 6x42 as a hunting scope?

Fx3 6x42 as a hunting scope?

Anyone have any experience with these? Thinking of putting one on for a general purpose hunting rifle. I really like fixed power scopes, not sure of the 6x could end up being a hindrance at closer ranges? Maybe 30-50 meters. I’ve looked through it a few times, I like the bigger lense then the 4x models. Super bright picture.

What say you?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fx3 6x42 as a hunting scope?

i used this scope for years hunting up close. you have to be good with your rifle, but i was fine at close range ie 30 meters. i put a 3.5-10x40 on a custom build i did and wish i would have just stuck with the fixed 6x42. i love this scope for hunting purposes. my older leupold has a fine duplex reticle and i put a target turret on the scope for long range shooting, more for fun than for hunting. but i can see clay pigeons to shoot at 600 yards. i feel for my style of hunting which is mostly hunting thicker timber for elk whitetails and mule deer im not at a disadvantage. but you also have a great sheep rifle and are able to use it for long range hunting situations. plus i think the fixed 6x42 leupold is 11 or 12 oz if i remember correctly.
    I'm sure the wolves are not in the area to howl Kumbaya at the moon and eat granola. "Ourea"

I have one on my 7mm/08 and I am very pleased with it. I hunt the bush and the last buck was at 30 yds. in some pretty heavy bush.

I used a Leupold 6 x36 on a rifle for a Few years and i liked it BUT changed over to a 3.5 -10 x 40 and LIKED it a LOT more ! Better Closer and Better Far a way ! Not much diff in Weight or Size ! Much Better IMHO ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by zippermouth View Post
    i used this scope for years hunting up close. you have to be good with your rifle, but i was fine at close range ie 30 meters. i put a 3.5-10x40 on a custom build i did and wish i would have just stuck with the fixed 6x42. i love this scope for hunting purposes. my older leupold has a fine duplex reticle and i put a target turret on the scope for long range shooting, more for fun than for hunting. but i can see clay pigeons to shoot at 600 yards. i feel for my style of hunting which is mostly hunting thicker timber for elk whitetails and mule deer im not at a disadvantage. but you also have a great sheep rifle and are able to use it for long range hunting situations. plus i think the fixed 6x42 leupold is 11 or 12 oz if i remember correctly.
    Have used one on a BLR 7-08 for ten years or more. I like them.

I've used 6x scopes for decades and still use 6x's on my two hunting rifles. This years deer at 30 yards was no problem at all.

I have one for sale $450+ shipping. Send PM/E-mail for pictures.

Its a FX3, 6x42 , long range retical and M1 turret.
    Last edited by BCBRAD; 11-23-2018 at 09:48 AM.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

I had a 6x42 for about ten years, on many rifles (mounted on 260 Rem, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 338-06, 280 Rem) - very nice optic. I shot grouse and deer inside 20 yards with it, the smaller field of view wasn't a big issue on a stationary target. Very generous eye relief, great low light performance.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Nothing wrong with a fixed 6 power on a hunting rifle. I had one on a pet .270 for several years. If I have time with a stationary shot I like to zoom in - even if its less than 100yards I still zoom in. Well, if I'm on a steady rest and have plenty of time and the game isn't really moving I like to put the bullet high neck or head.

So now I carry 2.5-10x, 3-9x and 4-16x but I'm walking with the setting on 5-5.5ish - this works well for me. If I'm in tight timber or brush then I power right down for the widest FOV.

I never found the fixed six to be a problem and it's perfectly fine on a 200yrd rig. I might even go that route again on a .308 I just picked up because it sure keeps things simple.

I have a fixed 6x Schimdt/Bender on my Rem 700 with the German #1 recticle and it works awesome on the blacktails .... doubt I’ll ever have to buy another scope ... but if I do it will be a fixed 6x .... you’ll be happy.

I ran one for many years just learn the scope one of the toughest out there .