Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Copper bullets

Copper bullets

Im thinking of switching from lead bullets with lung shots to copper bullets and shoulder shots. Comments? I shoot a .308 for moose and bear

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Copper bullets

Barnes TTSX 165 gr will get the job done ! RJ

I’ve been using nothing but Barnes TSX and TTSX for the last 15 years on deer, bear and moose in a .260 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, .300 WSM, .35 Whelen and .375 Ruger. Completely satisfied.

Shoulder or lung?

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Barnes offers 130gr, 150gr and 168gr VorTX ammo for the .308
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I shoot TTSX's at everything, same results, dead animals.
    I don't understand the lung or shoulder part of your question.
    You put a 168 TTSX through the lungs of any animal and it will die, and fast.
    Shoulder shooting is just messy and creates a ton of bloodshot meat, I like to eat the shoulders not leave them for the coyotes.
    Granted I have clipped a few shoulders but my goal is always the boiler room.
    TTSX bullets unleash a garden hose blood trail and turn lungs to goo.

308 use a 130 or 150 ttsx and kill everything you want wiht lung shots, shoulder shots, whatever you like. Forget the heavy .30 cal bullets with all copper in a .309
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

85gr TSX in my 243 and 168gr TSX in my 308. Deadly. Always the boiler room, never the shoulder.

I have a pic of a recovered bullet that is the exact same as B.C. Steve’s profile pic. I don’t know from experience, but the consensus seems to be to go down a bullet weight and shoot them faster. I don’t know if this is fact or might have something to do with some of the older tsx bullets not opening up for some users, but I haven’t heard of any problems with the ttsx.

Im running 210 grain ttsx in my .338 win mag and I’ve also used the 225 grain.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    308 use a 130 or 150 ttsx and kill everything you want wiht lung shots, shoulder shots, whatever you like. Forget the heavy .30 cal bullets with all copper in a .309
    I've been reloading TTSX for several years now for both my hunting rifles. I use 130 gr. in my .308 but the barrel has a slow enough twist to stabilize them whereas both my son and daughter's .308s have a faster twist and won't so I build their ammo with 150 gr. projectiles. Because they maintain almost a 100% of their initial weight you can go a good 30 grains lighter than your average lead projectiles. Use the right powder and you'll get 3000 fps and incredible accuracy.

IMG_1119 by Brent Davy, on Flickr

I have taken shoulder shots with them in the past which really anchors the animal to the ground and most of the time there has been minimal damage to the meat. Sometimes you can eat the meat right up to the hole. I have heard stories about taking lung shots and having pass throughs where the bullets haven't opened up but I think it is rare. It's never happened to me and I usually get my three deer per season and have never had to track an animal yet.