Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Copper bullets

Re: Copper bullets

This 150 gr TTSX weighed in at 151.6gr, probably due to the elk meat trapped under the petals lol

If you switch to copper and have a great rest and perfect shot and the animal walks away don't assume you missed. All bullets have their shortcomings in the wrong situation. As for accuracy never found them to be more or less accurate than any other bullet, but I load my own.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    I've been reloading TTSX for several years now for both my hunting rifles. I use 130 gr. in my .308 but the barrel has a slow enough twist to stabilize them whereas both my son and daughter's .308s have a faster twist and won't so I build their ammo with 150 gr. projectiles. Because they maintain almost a 100% of their initial weight you can go a good 30 grains lighter than your average lead projectiles. Use the right powder and you'll get 3000 fps and incredible accuracy.

IMG_1119 by Brent Davy, on Flickr

I have taken shoulder shots with them in the past which really anchors the animal to the ground and most of the time there has been minimal damage to the meat. Sometimes you can eat the meat right up to the hole. I have heard stories about taking lung shots and having pass throughs where the bullets haven't opened up but I think it is rare. It's never happened to me and I usually get my three deer per season and have never had to track an animal yet.
    Can argue with this performance other than 2 clicks left. This is gold in my books.

The argument that was presented to me was that because a copper bullet retains most of its weight after impact you can use a lighter bullet and thus get more velocity. A 180g copper/lead projectile that sheds 15% will penetrate like a 150g (talking .308 dia). Therefore you can get the penetration of a 180g and the velocity of a 150g with a copper bullet. A buddy of mine uses special cavity back ones for his 7.62 and has shown excellent expansion down to 1300fps. He also took a big MD with a quartering to shot and extracted the bullet just in front of the tail with almost full weight retention. They are performers but I hung my hat on Accubonds and Ballistic Tips so I have no need to develop another load at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    If you switch to copper and have a great rest and perfect shot and the animal walks away don't assume you missed. All bullets have their shortcomings in the wrong situation. As for accuracy never found them to be more or less accurate than any other bullet, but I load my own.
    People should not be assuming they missed in any situation. If I see someone shoot at an animal I better see some effort to look. Copper or lead, every crew has stories of a moose that ate up 4 bullets through the boiler room that didnt respond at all until dropping dead a minute later.

My thoughts on the all coppers. I've had great success with the 168 tsx's out of my 30-06. Last couple years was shooting 150gr nosler e-tips from my 280 with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajsawden View Post
    People should not be assuming they missed in any situation. If I see someone shoot at an animal I better see some effort to look. Copper or lead, every crew has stories of a moose that ate up 4 bullets through the boiler room that didnt respond at all until dropping dead a minute later.

My thoughts on the all coppers. I've had great success with the 168 tsx's out of my 30-06. Last couple years was shooting 150gr nosler e-tips from my 280 with good results.
    You're absolutely right never assume you miss. Had a bad experience with tsx that I wouldn't have had with lead hence my comment.

The reasoning behind switching is:

1. Sick of following bears into the thickest bush in the know galaxy, therefore would like the shoulder shot.
    2. Concerned with shooting moose beside water (I hunt lakes and swamps) and have only had to float one, but if I could anchor a moose on the shore it would be best.
    3. Dont want the family eating lead.
    4.The bullet often ends up hitting bone anyways (quartering to/away, or bad shot) and the coppers have the reputation of shocking the meat less.

I have been using them almost exclusively and they have performed flawlessly. The general rule is to go with a lighter bullet and faster muzzle velocity. You typically want to impact an animal at or above 2000 fps to ensure proper performance with the bullet, so you need to keep that in mind when shooting long distances if that is what you intend. The bullet will hold together whereas conventional cup and core will usually separate. A 165 gr TSX will perform like a 200 gr conventional or even NP as those bullets shed weight almost immediately. I used a 30-06 168gr TSX on a griz and it hammered it hard! Many nay-sayers claim they 'don't open' but they most certainly do when they are employed within their performance envelope.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Agree, death comes quick and less mess with double lungs

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    I shoot TTSX's at everything, same results, dead animals.
    I don't understand the lung or shoulder part of your question.
    You put a 168 TTSX through the lungs of any animal and it will die, and fast.
    Shoulder shooting is just messy and creates a ton of bloodshot meat, I like to eat the shoulders not leave them for the coyotes.
    Granted I have clipped a few shoulders but my goal is always the boiler room.
    TTSX bullets unleash a garden hose blood trail and turn lungs to goo.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    I haven’t noticed any extra work or fouling with TSX or TTSX bullets compared to other bullets. What do you mean by “discoloration”??
    I get the green discolouration in my barrel.
    Just a little more cleaning and I buy a product for copper for barrel cleaning.
    Definitely not complaining. TTSX are great!!