Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Copper bullets

Re: Copper bullets

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    I've been reloading TTSX for several years now for both my hunting rifles. I use 130 gr. in my .308 but the barrel has a slow enough twist to stabilize them whereas both my son and daughter's .308s have a faster twist and won't so I build their ammo with 150 gr. projectiles. Because they maintain almost a 100% of their initial weight you can go a good 30 grains lighter than your average lead projectiles. Use the right powder and you'll get 3000 fps and incredible accuracy.

IMG_1119 by Brent Davy, on Flickr

I have taken shoulder shots with them in the past which really anchors the animal to the ground and most of the time there has been minimal damage to the meat. Sometimes you can eat the meat right up to the hole. I have heard stories about taking lung shots and having pass throughs where the bullets haven't opened up but I think it is rare. It's never happened to me and I usually get my three deer per season and have never had to track an animal yet.
    Mastercaster, First great shooting with your TTSX loads!

As per your comment that a faster twist barrel will not stabilize the LIGHTER 130 gr TTSX bullet versus the slower twist in your rifle that does.....this runs contrary to conventional wisdom. A faster twist is necessary for longer/heavier bullets or you get oblong holes in the target (caused by non-stabilized bullet) and poor groups. "Over-stabilizing" shorter/lighter bullets in fast twist barrel usually isn't a problem with copper bullets as they won't come apart like thin jacketed varmit bullets due to excessive rotational forces. That said, you probably tested accuracy and your 130 gr TTSX load wasn't accurate in the faster twist rifles....but not likely caused by the bullet not being stabilized, but due to other issues with the load/rifle combination.

Re: Copper bullets

My .30 cal 168 gr TSX recovered from my Griz. Retained weight ...
    168 gr.
    https://i.imgur.com/ILNczio.jpg
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!