Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mule deer doe draws

Re: Mule deer doe draws

Quote Originally Posted by Islander30 View Post
    Isn't that why the provincial bag limit for mule deer was reduced to one ? So now anyone opting to take a leh doe won't be able to take a buck.....we need at least some bucks spared don't we, the does can't breed themselves ?
    The 1 MD buck provincial bag limit is because many MUs were falling shy of the minimum buck vs doe ratio of 20% for a number of years. Basically BC hunters were exceeding harvest goals for MD bucks

You can actually still take more the 1 MD a year if you have a doe draw. 3,4,7,8 all have a 1 MD regional limit but 5,6 have a 1 buck 1 doe MD limit. Yes they did not make it simple

I would think that the 1 mule deer limit caused many to think twice about their LEH doe draws. Particularly because this change was unknown at the time people were sending their LEH applications in. I would imagine a lot of those LEHs have been unfilled this year. I would also imagine that the Regional Bios will be looking hard at the harvest numbers on the harvest questionnaires. If more does were harvested than was desired, they will probably cut LEH tag numbers again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    The 1 MD buck provincial bag limit is because many MUs were falling shy of the minimum buck vs doe ratio of 20% for a number of years. Basically BC hunters were exceeding harvest goals for MD bucks

You can actually still take more the 1 MD a year if you have a doe draw. 3,4,7,8 all have a 1 MD regional limit but 5,6 have a 1 buck 1 doe MD limit. Yes they did not make it simple
    Right, so as long as we still have a GOS for bucks don't we need to at least have some LEH for does ?

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    I would think that the 1 mule deer limit caused many to think twice about their LEH doe draws. Particularly because this change was unknown at the time people were sending their LEH applications in. I would imagine a lot of those LEHs have been unfilled this year. I would also imagine that the Regional Bios will be looking hard at the harvest numbers on the harvest questionnaires. If more does were harvested than was desired, they will probably cut LEH tag numbers again.
    Ya, that's exactly what I was thinking. In fact I just talked to a guy at work the other day that said "I guess now the doe draws are only good for the years you don't get your buck".

Also talked to another guy that cancelled his November hunting trip because he got a buck in October...he also had a doe draw.
    Last edited by Islander30; 11-22-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    I just dont understand the leh doe when mule deer are in the trouble they are.
    Mule deer are not in trouble everywhere....some places there are too many. It is good practice to keep numbers well below carrying capacities since we live in a variable climate. It is basic management practices.

We have to be cognizant of the fact that the past..and what we grew to expect may not in most cases been optimal..you may have enjoyed and participated in a boom however booms lead to a collapse. Collapse is normal, spikes in populations are normal. Stable is the most unlikely...Bear in mind that our forefathers took up farming and animal husbandry for a reason.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

I talked to 3 hunters recently during the 4 point season that had an antlerless mule in camp they tagged out on as the 4 points were very nocturnal.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Islander30 View Post
    Right, so as long as we still have a GOS for bucks don't we need to at least have some LEH for does ?
    Doe harvest really should depend on the population in the MU it’s not a matter of we still have a buck season. My opinion doe LEH at reasonable numbers is good but with MD numbers declining maybe rethink LEH numbers

Truth is there is not one answer that is correct for all MUs within a region let alone all of B.C. so really choices should be made at min on an MU to MU biases

$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    SHIT HAPPENS! Usually when the big one decides to show himself!

Sounds to me it is dependent upon where you hunt and which areas seem to be fine with MD#'s and other areas seeing lower #'s.
    Running at top carrying capacity never lasts long (remember the Kettle Valley winter kill back in the 90's).

On top of that, we just had a Bag limit change to 1 MD for most Regions.
    Come on folks, it just happened, so how about give it some time to play out!!??

Like Dana said, the Bios will probably look at the questionaries' this coming year to see how the 1 MD limit played out, and get a better understanding of "how hunters changed their hunting sites" with all this to consider.
    Do I harvest the spiker, fill my doe or chance the late season for the elusive 4pt???

Seems a little early to ask for more changes.
    But yes, to the OP, it is to maintain a level of MD#'s so that they don't reach "full capacity".

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Sounds to me it is dependent upon where you hunt and which areas seem to be fine with MD#'s and other areas seeing lower #'s.
    Running at top carrying capacity never lasts long (remember the Kettle Valley winter kill back in the 90's).

On top of that, we just had a Bag limit change to 1 MD for most Regions.
    Come on folks, it just happened, so how about give it some time to play out!!??

Like Dana said, the Bios will probably look at the questionaries' this coming year to see how the 1 MD limit played out, and get a better understanding of "how hunters changed their hunting sites" with all this to consider.
    Do I harvest the spiker, fill my doe or chance the late season for the elusive 4pt???

Seems a little early to ask for more changes.
    But yes, to the OP, it is to maintain a level of MD#'s so that they don't reach "full capacity".

Maybe they would be wiser to do actual field studies rather than relying on questionnaires? The information that should be used is ACTUAL game populations after-all the predators don't send in their questionnaires. [roll eyes].

I can tell you how I changed my patterns, this year we didn't hunt 5-14 for the 4 point season. The communities of Quesnel and Williams Lake lost a lot of tourist money coming into their community due to someone deciding to reduce the mule deer to 1 per year because 3% of people that cut a tag on a mule deer would cut a second tag on a 4 pt.