Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mule deer doe draws

Re: Mule deer doe draws

talked to a rancher who is a hunter.he said the last two winters have been hard and on top of that the ticks have hit the deer hard as well.he stated he lost some cattle to them I would imagine the deer are affected greater than the cattle

Usually, depending where you hunt (how close you are to their full time winter grounds) you will see the results yourself when you find the full skeletal carcasses.
    Can't say I have seen many around where I hunt in quite a few years, but there was one season years ago where we did see quite a few (pre wolves).

Personally I don't have a problem with people who shoot does even though I don't hunt them myself. What I don't understand is the idea of a "dry doe". Just because a doe doesn't have a fawn with it doesn't mean it can't have one. In fact it more than likely had a fawn that was lost to predation. Although yes if you are going to shoot one it is best to shoot a lone doe.

-- A dry doe -- " dry doe " means a virgin doe, never had a baby yet, no milk, it's dry. That's what that means.

A female mule deer is born in May or so and the firsst rut won't be bred, then the next year it will be ready to let a buck jump her.
    then she get's pregnant and in spring has baby and then get's wet, produces milk for her first fawn.

Jel -- so if your good or lucky or both, you can pick out a dry one, butt it isn't always easy -- lots of variables to fool the assumptions -- Hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Does anyone have any idea why there are approx 1200 doe draws in region 3?
    De ja vu
    Seems like your annual question
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I personally don't agree with it, at the very least they should really limit the amount of authorizations. Maybe I'll start putting in for mule doe Leh in the hopes of being successful, but saving a doe by not shooting one. Hold out for a decent buck instead. Each to their own I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    Sure let’s attack fellow hunters for legally taking a doe. Said it before and I’ll say it again, Hunter vs hunter BS needs to stop before anything improves
    Woot! Here here
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

The mule deer buck has a handsome rack and with the generous Any Buck Yock Tober in 3 a person who likes getting out hunting in Kammy for instance in October can see a mule buck.

-- Hunters like antlers besides the venison and kinda compare the racks with delight --

Jello -- a lil machoism in all of us Hahahaha -- that's why LEH antlerless muley allows the meat to be number 1 and still had success and filled the tag --
    ------------------------------- No one is going to pass on a 4 point mule in season if they only get out hunting two or three times a season -----------------------