Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Gold River is GONE

Thumbs down The Gold River is GONE

No winter angling in Gold River and tributaries

GOLD RIVER, B.C. – There will be no angling on the Gold River and tributaries starting from December 1st, 2018 until May 31st, 2019.

According to a release, the provincial government is closing the Gold River downstream of the Muchalat River, including tributaries but excluding the Muchalat River and Heber River, from angling to support steelhead conservation.
    Catch-and-release angling only accounts for a small percentage of steelhead annual mortality, but the closure will help protect the population from angling-induced stress and mortality.

The release also stated that stock assessment information indicates the winter steelhead population in Gold River is vulnerable to local extinction.

The province and the B.C. Conservation Foundation are working with local First Nations to investigate factors to steelhead decline and consider ways to positively influence fish stocks.

https://www.mycomoxvalleynow.com/455...d-tributaries/

The canary is croaking Folks...

Sadly,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The Gold River is GONE

I think we need a seal cull. Just throwing that out there. I live close to the mouth of the fraser and the number of seals I see staging at the mouth is mind boggling. Fish have enough pressure from us and having a voracious predator go uncheked can't be a good thing.

I'm all for hunting the seals. Their fat and hide I'd extremely useful.

The province and the B.C. Conservation Foundation are working with local First Nations to investigate factors to steelhead decline and consider ways to positively influence fish stocks.
    That's the problem right there SOME First Nations

Hard to believe that 20 years ago the Gold was about as good as it got for a Steelhead River. Pretty sad...

It was one of a few rivers on the island where 20lb steelhead were regularly caught. Since the upper watershed was raped in the 70's - 90's the river would blow out at a hint of rain, and then shrink up to a trickle with dry weather. Seals didn't cause that. Greed did.

well I hope someone notifies the bears of the closure as well as the seals that eat them before they get into the system

guest Guest

One of many unfortunately......the feds continue to look at the real cause with blinders on. Very very fearful future for our BC coastlines the way they are mismanaged.

Caught 3 steelhead in the gold last winter, two of the three had fresh and fairly serious predation wounds, likely seals. I saw two seals above the canyon as well. Sad to think those were the last fish I’d ever have the opportunity to catch there.

Any conservation effort must include ALL factors ( including predation control) if it has any chance of success.Political correctness or public whims (ie seals are cute)have no place in the decision

years ago they tried to stop cutting trees up on one slope on Haida Guii to stop stream erosion,the forest company went to court to overturn the ruling ,cut the trees but left them lying to rot because they weren’t economical to harvest.
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 11-23-2018 at 07:52 AM.