Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Training Advice

Re: Training Advice

Quote Originally Posted by deltawaterfowler View Post
    Thanks for all the responses gentlemen. Very good advice here. One question I had though was this: why the need to get the dog dialed in for 200 yard blind retrieves? Is that simply for cases of a wounded bird that sails a distance? I'm taking most of my shots 40 yards or less generally.
    I clipped a duck today that sailed out we'll over 200 yards and then folded up dead. Dog didn't see it so I sent him blind and he made the retrieve.

Doesn't always happen but it's nice to have a dog that will do it if necessary.

One thing though, don't send a dog on a blind retrieve if the bird is wounded and your not sure it didn't run or swim away. If the dog doesn't come up with the bird when being handled it will learn not to trust you. Always make sure there is a bird to retrieve......that's their reward.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by Somethings happening BB View Post
    Why don't you send you dog to Dan Devos, he has being around for ever and does hunt test , field trial dogs and for the money your paying to Kevin you would get a lot more experience for the same money. Check him out on the web, almost all Kevins dogs on his truck are his own.
    Isn't he back in Ontario?? If you have someone locally train your dog at least you can be part of the process. As mentioned earlier, if you're not involved at all the dog won't have as good a connection with you as you would probably like.

It's one of the reasons I'm trying to do everything on my own. The one thing that I lack, though, is having penned birds to work with on a larger piece of property for the upland aspect of my griff's training. Just not a whole lot of wild birds here in Surrey, unfortunately. LOL

All the retrieving work can be done with canvas and rubber bumpers, dokkens, and dead half frozen birds for the most part. Did FF in the garage on the training table and finished up on a grass field. Training your own dog doesn't have to be intimidating,,,,,or difficult. All it takes is time, consistency, and a level head. There's tons of good you tubes out thre, training DVD sets, and good advise on various dog training forums. It's a lot of fun and the bond you form with your dog is second to none!

So I figured I should follow up on this thread.

Molly just got back from her first month with Kevin and man oh man what a huge difference. We still have a long way to go with her but the progress is there. Focus for this first month has been basic obedience. I've been doing weekly sessions now with Kevin and having the hands on help is really what I needed. This is my first dog, so I have so much to learn and one thing I've really picked up on is how to work with her properly and Kevin is so patient and so helpful even with my dumb questions. Can't wait to see what more we can get out of her.

Sounds like the begining of a great team,as LG said the basics are key and all dogs have their own strength and weaknesses as we do. Look forward to hearing more on how the training is continuing

Is Oukes the sire of your pup?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimsue View Post
    Is Oukes the sire of your pup?
    Hey Stranger good to see you are alive and kicking.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Thought I'd revive this thread. I have Molly back for about a week while Kevin is away on a much needed holiday. It's been a pretty amazing summer working with Molly and Kevin on his 40 acre property in Surrey. I've sure learned a lot and I have to say it's been absolutely fantastic working with Kevin. He is so kind and patient and has been so good at guiding me, a total noob through this whole process. We've got about a month left to go with Molly and the plan is to have her ready for the main hunting season in October.

A huge focus of her training was on basic obedience and it's definitely paying dividends. With all of that behind us now we've been focusing on the fun stuff. She's really getting steady which is fantastic and I think she's going to make a great little hunting partner. It's such a joy to be with her. If anyone is having reservations about getting your dog in for training, just dive in and don't look back, it's worth every penny.

To answer the previous question, Molly's parents are Epic and Rummy (http://www.bcgundogs.com/our-dogs.html).