Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training Advice

Re: Training Advice

Quote Originally Posted by deltawaterfowler View Post
    Thanks everyone, I really really appreciate the feed back. Lorne, just had a chat with Kevin and he pretty much re-iterated what you said verbatim. He said not to worry about the complex things and keep everything simple and fun with her. Focus on being a good citizen and keep her obedience held to as high a standard as possible. On Kevin's recommendation I picked up the Right Start Kennel training DVD so I use that as my general guide... they would use the dogs name on normal retrieves and the back part, I think I must have picked that up somewhere else... It's these little things that I "do wrong" that worry me...
    Boy do I know what youre saying ,I bought one of Kevins dogs (3year old black lab) fully trained and have been going to him for my training.Have had 3 labs and a Golden retriever but this guy is a new ball game Like having a self driving car that you don't know how to run. But back on point yes I work the basics as well even with him knowing everything working out pretty well.I have my great little GSP as well but cant get the lab out of my system...

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    It’s easier to have a pro train first time then too fix our home schooling. He has my drathaar now for training.
    I hear your going for swimming lessons together...

Dutch Your there to work on people skills I’m sure not for dog training !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SignalLight View Post
    What are your goals for the dog? Do you want to put field trial, hunt test or other titles on it or do you just want a pet that you can take hunting? Or something in between?
    I don't have any intention of getting into the field trial or hunt test circuit, but long term I want her to be a good polished gun dog.

I randomly stumbled across something fairly useful... https://www.cornerstonegundogacademy.com seems like a great resource so far... I think this might get me through until Molly gets in with Kevin to clean things up.

I`m not a field trial guy either but having the dog do what you want when you want speaks volumes for training .I have had 3 labs and a golden which I trained to what I believed to be great hunters.The new dog would put all to shame not because he is quicker or has a better nose but listens and follows my lead ,that is huge, especially on blind water retrieves which are very taxing to say the least.If I new then what I know now would have had some trials training on all my dogs.And the last chocolate was pretty dam good 30 birds in 1 afternoon by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawaterfowler View Post
    I don't have any intention of getting into the field trial or hunt test circuit, but long term I want her to be a good polished gun dog.
    The foundation (basic training) for any dog is the same no matter what you goals are.

Basics take between 2 and 3 months of training for a reasonably intelligent dog with decent prey drive being taught by a good trainer with a good work ethic.

A dog with a thorough foundation (basics) should be steady to shot, deliver reliably to hand, be capable of marking and retrieving multiple marks and be able to do blind retrieves out to a few hundred yards reliably.

After the basics are complete it will be up to you to maintain the standards set during basic training. This is a lifelong commitment because if your not prepared (disciplined enough) to keep standards high, things will begin to fall apart reasonably quickly.

This is why many people join clubs (either hunt test, or field trial) and train year round. It keeps both you and your dog sharp and in condition so your days out hunting are more enjoyable for both of you.

All the training in the world is no substitute for lots of experience in a hunting situation. The more you take your dog hunting, the better hunting dog you will have.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

What Lab Guy said
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I like what I hear,, so an old time trainer said to me once shoot 5000 ducks over a dog its bound to be good I replied what if its not ,with a wry smile he said I sell them to the yanks …

Thanks for all the responses gentlemen. Very good advice here. One question I had though was this: why the need to get the dog dialed in for 200 yard blind retrieves? Is that simply for cases of a wounded bird that sails a distance? I'm taking most of my shots 40 yards or less generally.