Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Priority Action Approach

Re: Priority Action Approach

How many of the A to F points will realistically happen. Yes all good points.

Quote Originally Posted by RobU View Post
    How many of the A to F points will realistically happen. Yes all good points.
    Fixing the A-F, realistically, wont happen.
    And I have no reason to believe there is any "real push" to make those changes happen.
    Especially when we push for the same old same old like the past 40 years, and just tell the ministry to slap us with more regulations.
    Like I said, the person was right with A-F, but there are even more issues that he could have filled in to Z.
    So, lets just do what we always do, restrict hunters.
    Lets not point fingers at the real culprits!??????

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Agree 100%!
    No cows=no moose procreation. 1/2 calf are female. Only would allow it on the rare occasion when it can be proven that there are simply too many for the area to sustain
    Also by hook or by crook night hunting must be stopped ASAP. Also in the name of conservation & proper management indiscriminate year round slaughter should also be looked at carefully.

Yes bring back the grizz hunt. And forget about the meat retention of both grizz & black.
    I'm sure both bears are a big factor in the dwindling moose numbers.
    Read that some grizz have killed over 3 dozen newborns per year. Do the math.
    Wolves also eat moose but at a much lesser scale.

Re does-Unless the numbers are considerably down I'm for LEH & in some cases open.
    You think bears kill more moose than wolves? Every wolf shit is full of moose hair, every bear shit is full of berries. I agree they take some, and in some areas the grizz would take a serious toll, but a wolf pack kills a moose a week. I would guess wolves are the number one killer, more than all others combined

Was watching a show where a farmer in the US was managing his deer. He made some great points about predator control. He said shooting predators is great, its lots of fun, but its not going to have an impact on the predator population. He gets a chance or shoots 5-6 coyote a year on his farm around his deers food plot. He sets traps, and he sets multiple traps because where one trap will work, so will 5 traps. In a square mile over a very short period of time he trapped 29 coyotes!

So while I plan on doing some predator hunting, we can't look at that as a solution to bring down the number of predators. It has to be trapping or other means, hunters simply can't do it
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

1. Resource road reclamation. Great article here on the topic: http://hunterconservationist.ca/the-...bias-wildlife/
    2. Implement laws such as "It's unlawful to carry a weapon on an OHV between 1 hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season for big game on public land."
    3. Open Archery seasons as done in Alberta not bookends on the regular season.
    Christopher Hitchens: "What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."
    Jonathan Swift: “It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”

Open it wide open any species you want to shoot, any time day or night, any day of the week, any month of the year whether it's for food or sport.
    Now we have eliminated all species we used to enjoy hunting.
    Take the family on a safari and reminisce how you and your father and grandfather used to hunt them.
    If there is no wildlife to hunt, then there will be far less guns in the hands of us.
    Is this not what governments want?
    With the present Provincial / Federal government atmosphere on Wildlife Numbers/Habitat, your blowing smoke.
    Think of Joni Mitchell's song, Big Yellow Taxi
    Last edited by New Bow Hunter; 11-22-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    You think bears kill more moose than wolves? Every wolf shit is full of moose hair, every bear shit is full of berries. I agree they take some, and in some areas the grizz would take a serious toll, but a wolf pack kills a moose a week. I would guess wolves are the number one killer, more than all others combined
    I'm basing it on the thorough studies done in Alaska where killing wolves had little effect on moose numbers & killing bears made all the difference. One grizz killed almost 40 newborns & that's not counting the others he killed. There are similar studies elsewhere.

As I wrote many times we have been hunting 5-03 & surrounding areas for over 50 years & saw what happened to the moose numbers with the ever increasing bear numbers. We hardly saw bears back in the 60's, 70's & 80's & a few years ago I counted 14 in a couple days or so.
    All the hunters we talked to agreed about the unprecedented bear numbers & the declining moose numbers.

The bear's sense of smell is 2100X better than ours & the dog's is 100X better. The vulnerable calf has little chance once located. They say that the bear is capable of smelling prey from miles away.
    Last edited by mpotzold; 11-22-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Okay, I had a read, and warning! if you thought some of my posts can be long winded, you may not want to read this!
    But you all should!
    There are some really good points here in this article.
    Example is of everybody in one of the States pointing fingers for the decline of elk at wolves, but, after the RMEF got involved, it wasn't wolves, but rather Cougars.
    I am not saying some people are wrong here, but I think people don't understand how complex the situation/s are thru out the province, depending where, and depending upon which species is in trouble.
    Take a few minutes to read, as I think it's time to it back and really re-evaluate where we go from here:
    (it states EK, but there is a lot more in this article that applies to this thread,imo)
    http://hunterconservationist.ca/are-...east-kootenay/

BC mule deer population needs some help in the interior.
    #1. 4 point bucks all year. No more any buck in October.. Should help the population grow, and allow for more big bucks.
    #2. Predator control.
    That's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydenmk View Post
    BC mule deer population needs some help in the interior.
    #1. 4 point bucks all year. No more any buck in October.. Should help the population grow, and allow for more big bucks.
    #2. Predator control.
    That's my opinion.
    I like the idea of it, but...

There's people out here, go shoot a little spiker, hunting season is done. Then there's reduced pressure on the big boys. If the little guys spend the first two years of their life not being shot at, then when they turn to a legal buck, they're less cagey.

Just my anecdotal opinion