Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Priority Action Approach

Re: Priority Action Approach

Quote Originally Posted by RobU View Post
    No arguements. However difficult beyond belief given our current political mess
    and big resource companies not forced to reclaim their mess. Don’t get me wrong. I want things to be as good as 10, 20,30 years ago. I hate change. We’re screwed right now. Shitty govt and very poor hunter,trapper,fisherman representation.
    I see so much habitat preaching on this site. It’s great and a key factor in the future of B.C. But if our current management model is failing with the habitat we have now, it will eventually fail with better habitat as well.
    A failure is not something tried that doesn’t work. A failure is trying the exact same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    I think whats failing with our current management model with the habitat we have now is it doesnt involve a massive province wide wolf cull. I think you can come up with more hunting restrictions till your blue in the face but if something isnt done about the infestations of predators (mostly wolves) all ungulate species are headed the way of the caribou. The way I understand it, increasing more hunting restrictions is like throwing cargo over the side of a sinking ship....just slows down the inevitable. Of course thats just my opionion based on what others with more knowledge have explained to me.

No arguement. They are a genuine problem. All Adds up to over pressured populations.

Can't poison animals with bait in BC it's a no no, always will be, when the wolf dies the ravens eat the dead meat and some other animals and they get poisoned too.

Jelly No Poison ---> it's an air e all attack -- from the skies --

If we had a "great plan" then I would be willing to consider "restricted efforts in the hunting arena" to help kick
    up the game populations for all species quicker.

That being said though, unless we establish "designated winter ranges" (like ALR, which is a bit of a joke in itself),
    where no one can develop on, all over the province.
    Also, take back land that is known to be historic winter range (good luck with that).
    Introduce a Pred cull (especially wolves), which isn't going to happen with the present government.
    Do prescribe burns where needed.
    Come to some decision on "how much head of a certain species (ie. ek elk)in an Region, cause right now, it's seems everyone is trying to shoot for "low #'s" (ie. only 12,000 head of elk in ek rather then say 20,000).
    Get Conservation Funding from every avenue possible, like any outdoor activity product, regardless if it is for hunting or not.
    Have that Funding implemented, FULLY 100%.
    Get FN to change their practices and also start reporting.
    Maybe restrict ORV's to designated roads, and as well where and when they can operate (snowmobiles).
    Putting fires where they need to happen, rather then just hoping they happen in the right area.
    How do we deal with all the "over harvesting of timber" everywhere. (due to beetle).

Are you going to get ranchers to put 10' high fences around their property (as well as vineyards) so they stop screaming to "cull all the elk/deer" on their properties?? (part of why elk #'s are low in ek - zone x)
    Get ICBC to fence every stretch of highway??

Good luck with that folks, but those are just some of the "real issues" that is causing game to decline.
    But go ahead, restrict away, hope you get an leh tag, and if not, hey, just sit the season out!!!
    It's worked so well so far hasn't it.
    Compare the Regs from 1965 to the ones now, plus the leh paperwork, and some are still thinking that "taking away a few more hunter opportunities" is finally going to resolve it!!?????????
    After all this time, and yet more and more declines.
    MAkes sense to me.

Tell you what, fix some the stuff I just put up first, and if it all gets implemented, I doubt this thread would even be considered being posted in the 1st place.
    But, lets just say all those fixes happened, then yes, I am willing to restrict some Cow/Doe seasons for a few years to help pump up the #'s quicker, for sure.
    But on it's own, aint goin to do sweet F' all!

Now I understand my father better when he would tell me something but I just ignored it or thought I knew better.
    Then he would just say "find out for yourself".
    Everytime he finished with that line, he ended up being correct.
    Because he had already been there!
    He already knew what the outcome would be.
    Sad part here is, your dealing with wildlife, not a repair to a truck etc.
    The longer we waste time with futile restrictions, the longer and harder it will be to fix game populations, if ever.
    I agree with some when they say "it will never be like before"!
    IT won't, humans are chewing up everything around the planet, so where will the game live??
    Time to put the pressure on the government and private enterprises to work together to really fix the root of the problem.
    Done!

Heres an article I came across of late as many LM'rs wont have seen this.
    Folks asking for restrictions (which I can understand, as they are concerned, as I am myself), but then you read
    his A-F points at the bottom, and you see that restrictions will in itself, just be a failure, cause no one can correct all
    the changes that have happened to this province over the years.
    Why he stop at F is beyond me ??, as he could have added points all the way to Z of which those also have nothing to do with hunting, but "everything to do with low game #'s"!!!

https://www.cranbrooktownsman.com/ne...g-season-2017/

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    Can't poison animals with bait in BC it's a no no, always will be, when the wolf dies the ravens eat the dead meat and some other animals and they get poisoned too.

Jelly No Poison ---> it's an air e all attack -- from the skies --
    Well it's pitching in in Alberta, no? Kills a few ravens and other varmints, seems like a plausible trade-off.
    If only there was a substance that only affected canines...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    Nothing makes me want to vomit more than hunters asking for more restrictions instead of more habitat, and wolf, bear, yote control.
    Shut this down, shorten this, close that, limit access, what a bunch of crap.
    100% agree

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    With the 2018 Hunting Season winding down and so many Resident Hunters having another successful season, I thought it would be a great time to ask the question.

1:What are your concerns in this Province, and to list them in a prioritized order?

2:What action should be taken to address the problem?

3: To follow up and ask your Clubs, Organizations, and friends to share their views.

Let it roll people.....
    What I wish for is alot less spineless folk who won't shoot predators. I don't care what your excuse is or how you justify it, if you actively hunt the ungulates every year you damn well better be spending some time with boots on the ground hunting bear, coyote, wolf or any of the big cats... Too many people want to take take take.

Quote Originally Posted by RobU View Post
    Heres my list...Difficult to put in order of priority but have tried to short list my concerns.
    1. Shorten seasons in high pressure low number areas - including some rut seasons.
    2. Many more road closures and ATV restrictions province wide.
    3. Put more animals and regions on LEH (spread out hunting pressure)
    4. All sheep. 1 every 3 years.
    5. High pressure sheep areas put on LEH (example: MUs along Alaska Hwy.)
    6. Restructured LEH program borrowing successful formats from other provinces with a progressive draw
    7. Province wide ban on baiting for hunting.(why are we habituating wild animals? Not fair chase)
    8..province wide ban on selling animal parts (except for lisenced trappers)
    9. Introduce educational programs to hunters and trappers for the purpose of a better wolf control program.

guess my list could go on. These concerns seem to be the hot topics among my circle of hunting friends. Difficult to align these concerns with a club or organization but I’m searching.
    Don’t be shy man! Tell us the truth !
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Re open G bear
    open wolf and yote year round
    hold natives accountable
    close all mule in every reg but 2 and only reg 2 residents can hunt it
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER