Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended caliber for Lynx hunting?

Re: Recommended caliber for Lynx hunting?

As has already been suggested, 17hmr will work just fine @ 100yrds or less. 22mag will also do the trick.
    Firearms and fishing rods, my idea of a good time!

took the heart right out of one and it sumersaulted allover..

Maybe a 243?

I shot one with my .243 and left a softball sized hole on the exit. Once you enter that caliber range you’re better to go really big with stout bullets and hope they don’t expand at all. Lynx have paper this skin better to not exit at all in my opinion

Lynx or bobcat I've seen lots but never shot any if I was to go specifically after them I would take my 18" barreled T/C Contender carbine loaded with 135gr Nosler HP's at 2025fps or 200gr XTP's @ 1400fps.

I have a 2.5x Leupold compact scope mounted it is sighted in right now @ 100 yards with the 200gr XTP's only an 1" high at 50 yards.

I've been meaning to buy a bobcat and lynx tag this year and give it a try.
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

I took this one a few years back with an old iron sighted single shot 22 using a cheap bullet. It worked well.

YES, all that's needed is a 22 LR bullet!

Only one I have shot was with a 223 with 55gr Nosler Varmageddon. Big exit hole but the taxidermist did a good job fixing that. I would now use a 223 reduced load that basically duplicates a 22 magnum
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    Lynx or bobcat I've seen lots but never shot any if I was to go specifically after them I would take my 18" barreled T/C Contender carbine loaded with 135gr Nosler HP's at 2025fps or 200gr XTP's @ 1400fps.

I have a 2.5x Leupold compact scope mounted it is sighted in right now @ 100 yards with the 200gr XTP's only an 1" high at 50 yards.

I've been meaning to buy a bobcat and lynx tag this year and give it a try.
    Lots of bobcats right up the road from your house. Most of the nuisance bobcat calls I get are from your neighborhood and up the Chilliwack.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

My planned caliber and bullet to be gentle on fur of all potential preds this winter, is a short barreled 7-08 with 120 nosler BT. plan to download the velocity some, coupled with the fact that the 7mm 120 NBT has a thicker jacket than others in the NBT line, I am hoping it will have a bit more controlled expansion and not make big holes. My buddy just got his trappers license and is wanting some nice furs to work on. Now I just gotta figure out how to be more succesful at this whole pred hunting thing!
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson