Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Looking for new knife sharpener

Re: Looking for new knife sharpener

if your blade is made from s30V then it is likely hardened around 62-64 Rockwell
    Being this hard is why it chips as it is more brittle.
    It will also hold an edge for a very long time but being that hard the normal every day guy will take forever to get the edge back.
    Hunting knives should be sharpened at 25 degrees for a utility type edge that will last longer than ones at 15 -20 degrees.
    I have seen just about every type of sharpener there is around and my pick for none electric or belt would be the lansky or something similar as it keeps that angle consistant.
    I personally have belt grinders and sanders and sharpeners as that what I need to make knives but there is a lansky kit with diamond hones with me where ever I go when not home.
    If the edge is really bad send it to me and for a small fee I can sharpen it for you.
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    Think I suggested the edge pro back in post 25. Good call though
    Yeah, I picked one up a few years ago for my kitchen knives. I haven't quite mastered it yet (it's not hard, but still takes some practice). I've just been too busy for too long to ever really take the time to sit down and get good with it. It's the same reason my Chosera stones sit in the closet and I just pull out the Chef's Choice 1520 to get things back up to the appropriate level of sharpness in a few strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    Yeah, I picked one up a few years ago for my kitchen knives. I haven't quite mastered it yet (it's not hard, but still takes some practice). I've just been too busy for too long to ever really take the time to sit down and get good with it. It's the same reason my Chosera stones sit in the closet and I just pull out the Chef's Choice 1520 to get things back up to the appropriate level of sharpness in a few strokes.
    This is what it comes down to. Yes lansky works, yes anyone can use it, yes you can get the chips out ..... but how much time are you willing to waste Sharpening?

If sharpening is not something you enjoy why the hell sit there and file away with the coarsest stone for 40 minutes when something else like a chefs choice can do it in 2 minutes .... I guess some of us take more enjoyment in sharpening than others.

I specifically chose the Chef's Choice 1520 because of the multi-angle support. I could easily do 20 on my outdoor knives and 15 on my kitchen knives. I might actually re-profile my New West KnifeWorks Hunter/Forager from 35 to 30 (inclusive) using the CC, just to simply my life a bit.

I'll still, someday, get proficient with the stones and the Edge Pro....but it's just not my priority right now.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Hi .... I'm looking for a recommendation for a new QUICK knife sharpener.

I have been using Lansky for a long time, but I am sick of it. I've marked where the knives go on the clamp but still, every time it takes some fiddling around to get the proper depth as before so that the angle guides are consistent. It's a pain in the azz. And if you have a small chip in the blade you're gonna be on there filing for days

Anyways .... my criteria is this:

- I don't care about angles too much, as long as the sharpener keeps it consistent. Since i always have a razor sharp Havalon on me, my fixed blade is more like a utility knife.
    - Fast. If i notice i chipped the blade a little by hitting a rock while trying to cut a tree out of the way of my trail cam, i want to be able to restore that edge in seconds, not hours.
    - Idiot proof. I honestly hate sharpening and take no pleasure in it nor do i have any interest in learning. Something easy to use that has no learning curve (so no stones etc)
    - Flat grind. None of my knives have a convex edge, so i don't think any belt-sander type sharpeners would work for me.
    - No need to sharpen serrated blades. None of my knives are serrated.

I was thinking maybe some electric option? Let me know what you guys use that isn't Lansky, or whetstones.

Thank you!!
    Greetings twoseven0,

I have used the edgepro for over a decade now with good results. Not cheap but not expensive.

I find it gives a little more control and precision than the Lansky.

I have also found it good for fixing edges. I did a bad thing to a older Buck folder and broke the tip off. With the coarse stone I was able to in a reasonable period reshape the end of the blade and return it to it's original utility.

They work well.

I would be cautious about any kind of power sharpener.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    I picked up one of these work sharp tools from Peavey on sale for $110 or so. I'm pretty happy with it. Has a few different angles and two guides. Did all my kitchen knives and fillet knives. Did a pretty good job on my skinning knife. Very easy to use.

This belt is good. The Ken Onion version of this model is better. This one has only 2 or 3 angles whereas the Ken Onion is freestlye angled and has some better upgrades. I heard you can turn your knife into a Spatula if you dont know what youre doing with a belt like this. However it can hone and prep your knife for a conventional sharpener for quick touch ups.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Heard great things about this system as you only need to focus on holding the knife vertical.

But how is it for edges that are really dull or damaged? Is it a slow process?

Because to me it seems like a good way for sharpening an already sharp knife. (Sharp to hair popping sharp)

Well worn knives due to excessive use and sharpening will probably require something a bit more more hardcore. The Spyderco Sharp maker comes with two sharpening triangles. One triangle is ceramic and the other one I cant remember at this time. You can get other sharpening stones for this as well.

Chef's Choice 315XV - just bought one a few days ago and sharpened all of my kitchen knives, filleting knives and hunting knives. All of them are shave sharp and I am totally impressed. I am now an ex-Lansky guy.

Quote Originally Posted by wlbc View Post
    I would be cautious about any kind of power sharpener.
    I see this often, but am not totally sure as to why. I don't think there's any evidence (that I've seen - admittedly, haven't looked super hard) to suggest that something like a Chef's Choice actually damages knives. I've read a lot of anecdotal stuff about removing too much steel, etc, but I assume that most of us wouldn't be jamming a knife down in there so hard as to be overdoing it or doing it excessively.

It's a curious thing...is it a wive's tale or is it legit?

The unit I purchased puts a 15 degree edge on the blade and it takes a few passes through the coarse diamond stone to establish this. Once the edge is established it takes one pass through the coarse diamond to put the edge back to perfect again. So if someone was to get carried away they could definitely remove too much material so it would take some experience and a keen eye to know when to stop.