Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for new knife sharpener

Re: Looking for new knife sharpener

The onion unit works really well to restore a really messed up edge or rebevel an edge for someone not really handy with conventional stones. That's why I use it on kitchen knives....really quickly does the job.
    But like I said the lansky still gets my vote for my hunting knives, to put a flawless edge on.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Backtail custom designs
    ^^^ this!!!

Also, I only use a stone for sharpening, havent found any tool that will sharpen as well as a stone.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

If you have a bench grinder reverse the polarity add a sand flap wheel along with a buffing wheel. Works pretty slick n easy
    Tell it how it is!!!

After some more googling it seems most people do NOT recommend Chefs Choice type of sharpeners and for small chips most just advise to leave it alone and let it sharpen out over time.

The only electric one that seems to have consistently positive reviews is the Ken Onion work sharp system.

Tbone, that does sound like a fast system ... if only I could keep a perfectly consistent angle .... it's one of the reasons I suck at using whetstones. Lol.

*sigh* ... I guess I'll just have to do a better job of making sure the cardboard boxes I'm curing down dont have staples hidden in the corners... lol.

Might want to check out "Edgepro" knife sharpeners. Seem to get good reviews.

I bought the Worksharp down at KMS Tools when they went on sale ... for a little over 100 bucks ... pick up some spare belts if you go this route .. even in camp its small enough to stow away and use an inverter and your vehicle ... you’ll be sharpening everyone’s knives for the house hold too.
    Last edited by Ferenc; 11-19-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    I bought the Worksharp down at KMS Tools when they went on sale ... for a little over 100 bucks ... pick up some spare belts if you go this route .. even in camp its small enough to stow away and use an inverter and your vehicle ... you’ll be sharpening everyone’s knives for the house hold too.
    Easy to get a shaving sharp edge on every time?
    Does it produce a flat edge or a rounded convex edge?
    Not that I care much about the shape of my edges just wondering if would require reprofiling since mine are all flat ground.

Thanks for the heads up

OR......you could just get a cheap scandi grind Mora and sharpen it with a file. Been doing it with the same knife since Boy Scouts and it works just fine.

Cool Re: Looking for new knife sharpener

Been using a three stage Chef's Choice for years.
    It works great.
    Don't know or care about the negative reviews, for me it is excellent.

Then I finish with one of these:

No hair on my left forearm all hunting season.
    Beyond Razor Sharp!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Nog, which one? They have a couple with different angles. I assume the 20* one?? And the angle is fixed on yours, right?