Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for new knife sharpener

Re: Looking for new knife sharpener

For a quick and effective knife sharpening job I rely on my spyderco Sharpmaker. Works great on my S35VN hunting knife. Cant say enough about this simple system. Sharpens almost anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bistchen View Post
    For a quick and effective knife sharpening job I rely on my spyderco Sharpmaker. Works great on my S35VN hunting knife. Cant say enough about this simple system. Sharpens almost anything.
    Heard great things about this system as you only need to focus on holding the knife vertical.

But how is it for edges that are really dull or damaged? Is it a slow process?

Because to me it seems like a good way for sharpening an already sharp knife. (Sharp to hair popping sharp)

Spyderco Sharpmaker for works great for me.

Not sure if its in the budget or not but i got a wicked edge a few years back and i would say its the best sharpening system out there. Easy to use and in no time you can acheive a mirror razor edge.

I picked up one of these work sharp tools from Peavey on sale for $110 or so. I'm pretty happy with it. Has a few different angles and two guides. Did all my kitchen knives and fillet knives. Did a pretty good job on my skinning knife. Very easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by walnutz View Post
    Not sure if its in the budget or not but i got a wicked edge a few years back and i would say its the best sharpening system out there. Easy to use and in no time you can acheive a mirror razor edge.
    Outside my budget ... but doesnt this system suffer the same problem as lansky? Inconsistent angles unless you fiddle around and make sure the knife is always clamped in exactly the same position?

If not, how do they manage to solve that? I do see that a regular looking clamp holds the knife blade in place.

You can always take the angles out of play with something like this:

Edge Pro Apex
    https://www.paulsfinest.com/Edge-Pro...category_id=85

And for field sharpening:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5038-6...arpener-2-2-1-

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    You can always take the angles out of play with something like this:

Edge Pro Apex
    https://www.paulsfinest.com/Edge-Pro...category_id=85

And for field sharpening:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5038-6...arpener-2-2-1-
    Think I suggested the edge pro back in post 25. Good call though

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Yes. That. Also for sharpening DULL knives.

Sure the lansky works but it takes time. Set up is a pain in the ass and if you have to reprofile or get a chip out it will take way too long.
    You just need a coarse stone..or sandpaper. Draw blade till you get a bur on one side. Draw blade till a bur on opposite. Then move to finer grit and repeat till bur is formed Eventually you are down to stropping to remove bur. Strop 100 strokes one side and repeat other. You will have a sharp edge then.
    Biggest deal is using a coarse enough stone to get started..the more steel needed to be removed the coarser the grit. A kid can do it!
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

The issue with using a belt or grinder is too much stock removal and overheating causing loss of hardness.
    you can take an old belt grinder turn it upside down in vice. Use a wood or plastic wedge piece for support and remove the chip easy just have a pail of water ready and dump the knife frequently to keep it cool....use 180g to start. Same process. But if you overheat and have colours run...it has gone soft.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)