Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for new knife sharpener

Looking for new knife sharpener

Hi .... I'm looking for a recommendation for a new QUICK knife sharpener.

I have been using Lansky for a long time, but I am sick of it. I've marked where the knives go on the clamp but still, every time it takes some fiddling around to get the proper depth as before so that the angle guides are consistent. It's a pain in the azz. And if you have a small chip in the blade you're gonna be on there filing for days

Anyways .... my criteria is this:

- I don't care about angles too much, as long as the sharpener keeps it consistent. Since i always have a razor sharp Havalon on me, my fixed blade is more like a utility knife.
    - Fast. If i notice i chipped the blade a little by hitting a rock while trying to cut a tree out of the way of my trail cam, i want to be able to restore that edge in seconds, not hours.
    - Idiot proof. I honestly hate sharpening and take no pleasure in it nor do i have any interest in learning. Something easy to use that has no learning curve (so no stones etc)
    - Flat grind. None of my knives have a convex edge, so i don't think any belt-sander type sharpeners would work for me.
    - No need to sharpen serrated blades. None of my knives are serrated.

I was thinking maybe some electric option? Let me know what you guys use that isn't Lansky, or whetstones.

Thank you!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for new knife sharpener

If your chipping blades and have a knife with good hard steel there is no quick answer. I find the lanksy to be awesome but i can use my knives for a few animals before i need to sharpen it again. A quik touch up on stone is all thats needed. Might be the knife thats the problem.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

The Lansky is perfect if you need to re profile a blade, but you are right, it is a bit of a pita to use on a regular basis.
    I have a Spyderco sharpmaker for quick touch ups, easy and foolproof to use.

Your angle is too flat or your knife is sporting poor metal. Bring your angle up and see how that goes.
    Tell it how it is!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey66 View Post
    The Lansky is perfect if you need to re profile a blade, but you are right, it is a bit of a pita to use on a regular basis.
    I have a Spyderco sharpmaker for quick touch ups, easy and foolproof to use.
    How the hell is lansky perfect to reprofile a blade? That would honestly take hours of work.

Edit : I suppose it would depend on the size of said blade. LOL
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 11-18-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ~T-BONE~ View Post
    Your angle is too flat or your knife is sporting poor metal. Bring your angle up and see how that goes.
    No, i'm just shitty with my knives. I used my Spyderco paramilitary to to undo a roberts head screw and it wasn't as loose as i thought .... blade chipped.
    it's S30V steel.

Ignore the chip....
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    How the hell is lansky perfect to reprofile a blade? That would honestly take hours of work.
    That depends on which stone you start with. I don't have acess to an electric sander/sharpener/grinder, so thats what I use.

Backtail custom designs
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I've used a lansky to profile a knife i made, didn't take long at all maybe 45 min. Don't think I've ever spent more than 15-20 min on knife that already had an edge
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................