Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Llamas??

Llamas??

Can you use them in bc for packing? I looked through the regs quickly and didn't see anything but somewhere in the back of my mind i think i recall something about them being banned. Does anyone know? Or actually use them? They look like pretty cool creatures!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Llamas??

I believe you’re correct and packing is restricted to horses.

A quick Google search showed that in 2016 the government were considering banning them but I couldn’t find the result.

Not in some parks/protected areas and special management areas. See page 33

http://muskwa-kechika.com/uploads/PD...es_nov2011.pdf

iirc all of reg 6 is closed to the use of llamas and alpacas for hunting
    A move to protect the wild sheep where a rule could be put in without too much conflab
    would be nice if the blight carriers could be banned outright, but that move is beyond the hunting regs
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Llamas, alpaca, guanaco and vicuņa are closely related to sheep, domestic and wild. In light of such, llamas present a risk to wild sheep as they can carry and transmit disease that would be detrimental to the health of Dall, Stone, California and Mountain Bighorn.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

There it is , page 15 of paper regs , though their are misprinted

supposed to be Item # 40 under 'It is unlawful'
    '.........with the use or aid of, domestic goats or sheep province-wide and camelids in Regions 6, 7A and 7B, including as pack animals.'
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

The use of Llamas has been addressed in Muskwa-Kechika Wildlife Management Plan since 2009.

Muskwa-Kechika Wildlife Management Plan
    Part B: Technical Manual
    August 2009

3.1 Domestic Animals
    Domestic animals are used throughout the Muskwa-Kechika Management Area and throughout all habitats. As a result, they are potential vectors for introducing disease and non-indigenous plants. Most domestic animals are brought in as pack animals, although there is concern about the risk of disease transmission from domestic livestock living on private property in the M-KMA. There is good evidence that domestic sheep and goats can transmit disease to wild sheep and goats. This is less clear for camelids. Species such as Stone’s Sheep, considered to be particularly sensitive to disease and with no previous contact with domestic species, are most at risk. The main objective is to prevent the introduction of disease from domestic to wild animals. No presence or access of domestic animals should be allowed in areas where there is a likelihood of contact with sensitive species or their habitats, until such time as the risk is determined to be acceptable. Exotics, such as goats, Llamas, Alpacas, and other camelids are not allowed in the M-KMA. Before exotics or domestic sheep are allowed they must have undergone an appropriate risk assessment (which sheep and goats have failed). Goats should not be housed or farmed within at least 15 km of wild ungulate populations, unless a significant geographical barrier exists. Domestic animal waste should be managed to prevent contact with wild populations. The B.C. Ministry of Environment should provide guidelines for domestic species in the M-KMA, including species that are allowed as pack animals, and guidelines for waste management practices. The B.C. Ministry of Environment may also lead an education program, in co-operation with Land and Water British Columbia Inc, to sensitize land owners and resource users to this issue.

i have them but wouldnt risk it..not even on a deer hunt as never know if you crossed a goat or sheep range.

If they are a health risk to our sheep i will scratch that idea off my list!