Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rendering Bear Fat

Thumbs up Re: Rendering Bear Fat

Twenty-one pints of extremely high quality lard from this fall's boar.
    Just enough to see us through the winter methinks!
    Happy Happy!

Next up - a mountain of smokies & pepps!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Rendering Bear Fat

Reputedly makes the finest quality of home made soap as well, that's if anyone is into doing such a thing.
    They'll never end hunting...may make it illegal, but they'll never really kill that way of life!

Thanks Matt for showing how you do that.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

The old timers used to harvest a bear just for the fat ...makes great sausage too .Secret is to render it in a cast iron pot and keep the temperature down,bear fat burns easily.We use the lard for baking both bread and pastries

Nog, thanks for the detailed rendering process. Looks great and even tastes better!!
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    crock pot works well for smaller batches. Turn it on and forget about it for a few hours, turns out perfect.
    I did mine in a crockpot too. Couldn't do the whole thing in one batch (actually had to do 4), but I also didn't need to add water, and there was no possibility of burning it. Got a full 4 liters off my early in the season female. This stuff is amazing to cook with.

Okay, I have to try this now, that looks really good and my wife is a baker.

Spoke to a native woman last week and she said that they work it into their hair and leave it for a few days... Nourishes the follicles and promotes new hair growth... she asked me if I had ever seen a bald Indian - I had to admit that I had not...

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    Spoke to a native woman last week and she said that they work it into their hair and leave it for a few days... Nourishes the follicles and promotes new hair growth... she asked me if I had ever seen a bald Indian - I had to admit that I had not...
    And some Indians will eat bread dipped in bear fat. I think I will pass on both but I am not going bald either

It is good for baking though