Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rendering Bear Fat

Post Rendering Bear Fat

I thought I had this up somewhere on this Forum, but after a good bit of searching I could not find it??
    So, as I am once again getting to this task today, I decided to run it up again so that I can search and find it quicker down the road. Also so that anyone interested can see just what is involved...

Clean ALL hair, meat and blood off the fat, then chop into ~ one inch cubes:

Toss the cubes into your large diameter pot:

Add some water (I put about 4 cups to around 10 cups of fat this go):

Set your burner to medium heat, cover and monitor:

You do NOT want to get too hot or it will scorch. Keep around medium heat for the duration. Takes a couple of hours. During that time most of the water will boil off, but when it gets close to done, you want to remove the cover and let the rest of the water wander off.

You can tell it is done when the cracklings resemble piggy puffs, stop making noise as they boil, and turn a golden brown:

Continued...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Thumbs up Re: Rendering Bear Fat

And, just like piggy puffs it is a mad scramble between the hounds and myself to see who gets the most! Yummy!!

Then set up your second pot with a double layer of cheesecloth for a filter, and the mason jars the same (I use old and clean game bags for this) in preparation for filtering:

This next step is a little tricky, and I advise Extreme Caution! Handling extremely hot oil can be very hazardous to your health!! Slowly and carefully pour the contents of your boiler pan into the next pot through the filter.

Then remove that filter, and pour into the mason jars. The liquid will appear like a fine oil at this point:

Cap and set to cool:

In my case the overnight temperatures dropped right down, so I simply left the product on the table out back all night. When cool, the lard turns snow white, and is an extremely fine oil / lard. It can be held for over a year when refrigerated, and damn near forever when frozen, and damn near forever once frozen.

It can be used any time you would cooking oil, makes the best pastry lard ever invented, and is an incredible preservative for leather (boots etc). There is indeed a reason our forefathers loved and relied on this stuff so much!

Won't have as much as last year as this boar was slightly smaller, and not nearly as larded up. Easy to understand as we've had such a warm fall this year, while last year's boar was shot when there was almost a foot of snow on the ground.
    Today's task underway soon...

Cheers,
    Nog
    Last edited by IronNoggin; 11-18-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Re: Rendering Bear Fat

Nice! I mix it 50/50 with dark brown Danner Boot Dressing for 17 years now and works awesome.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Pemby_mess Guest

Wow, that looks like a really good product you've produced there. Good work! Other than quantity, do you notice any difference in the quality of the fat from Spring to Summer?

Pemby_mess Guest

Or spring to fall I guess I should say?

Thank you for sharing. I have always wanted to try to do this!! Thanks Matt

Yet to harvest a Bear.

So I use pasture raised (Free Range), organic pork fat, from Sumas Mountain Farm.

Another option to render fat, especially if you live in an apartment, is a slow cooker on the high setting.

Takes a little longer but great results.

The left over crackle makes for great healthy dog treats! Don't go overboard, or they get the runs..
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

crock pot works well for smaller batches. Turn it on and forget about it for a few hours, turns out perfect.

My buddy shot a nice bear and made lard out of the fat, I can't wait to use it

Arrow Re: Rendering Bear Fat

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    ... Other than quantity, do you notice any difference in the quality of the fat from Spring to Summer?
    Dunno. Never shot a spring bear. Like them in the fall when they are fat & juicy.

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me