Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: road deactivations for sensitive habitat

Re: road deactivations for sensitive habitat

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    Has everything to do with wildlife. The amount of country opened up in the past few years is ridiculous. The majority of hunters i know are in favor of deactivation to give wildlife a break. It's going to be either deactivation or quad and motorized bans. Deactivation or obliteration needs no policing and is very effective.
    This is the truth....

Properly deactivated roads is wolf management.
    This is also correct, though we need more wolves to be actually killed....

Quote Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
    Properly deactivated roads manage the two legged wolves that hunt all year......
    This is also the truth......

Properly deactivated roads is wolf management.
    hahaha! Funniest thing I've read on HBC in a while. Do you honestly think a wolf can't travel on anything but a road? They can walk 100's of kms in a short period of time but deactivate a road and they are done for. Hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    hahaha! Funniest thing I've read on HBC in a while. Do you honestly think a wolf can't travel on anything but a road? They can walk 100's of kms in a short period of time but deactivate a road and they are done for. Hahaha!
    funny what we believe these days eh!

I’m not an expert, but I thought the idea of cross ditching or deactivating a road was to let the water run off so the culverts don’t get plugged up and cause a slide.

About 20 years ago I worked with some contractors to forest renewal bc to put some sections of road back to its natural state. Tore everything up and put it back to grade. I bet that cost more money than the original road.

Im in favour of more motorized vehicle hunting bans. Either no vehicles in certain areas, or you have to be away from your vehicle a certain distance or time.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    No kidding! Jesus ****!!

haha, Just so you LML guys know, wolves travelled for thousands of years before roads. They use them now, as the path of least resistance, but putting up a sign, or a gate, or a ditch, or digging up the road isn't stopping a wolf from travelling and hunting.

Some/many LML guys either don't know any better, of don't give a **** about local people in the areas that they make their one trip a year.

Look at reg 5, west of the Fraser for example. Lots of bug kill, lots of roads, many dug up at the start. Lots of burn now too.

Moose is already LEH
    ATV's are already banned.

If moose numbers are that bad (which they absolutely are), shut down moose hunting in that region until the numbers come back. Simple.

Digging up roads isn't helping the moose, it's doing the opposite. It's making it hard for local guys that don't get the GoldenLEH Ticket and like to hunt, so they predator hunt those areas.

Keep in mind almost all LEH hunters in these areas are from the LML and don't predator hunt there, but expect to get a moose there on their yearly hunting trip with their buddies.

What would be the reason to not de-activate roads after siviculture work is done??

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    What would be the reason to not de-activate roads after siviculture work is done??
    public access to the back country for those that can't afford or don't have access to a helicopter and not talking about just hunters .....

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    No kidding! Jesus ****!!

haha, Just so you LML guys know, wolves travelled for thousands of years before roads. They use them now, as the path of least resistance, but putting up a sign, or a gate, or a ditch, or digging up the road isn't stopping a wolf from travelling and hunting.

Some/many LML guys either don't know any better, of don't give a **** about local people in the areas that they make their one trip a year.

Look at reg 5, west of the Fraser for example. Lots of bug kill, lots of roads, many dug up at the start. Lots of burn now too.

Moose is already LEH
    ATV's are already banned.

If moose numbers are that bad (which they absolutely are), shut down moose hunting in that region until the numbers come back. Simple.

Digging up roads isn't helping the moose, it's doing the opposite. It's making it hard for local guys that don't get the GoldenLEH Ticket and like to hunt, so they predator hunt those areas.

Keep in mind almost all LEH hunters in these areas are from the LML and don't predator hunt there, but expect to get a moose there on their yearly hunting trip with their buddies.
    Can we refrain from the LML bashing on this site. It's not getting us anywhere and frankly I'm tired of it. There are bad apples in every bunch. Lots of us live down here because this is where our families and jobs are. I for one get out as often as I can hunting regions 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8. I respect locals and do my best to make friends with the people I meet while I'm out there.

This thread is discussing deactivated roads and it lead into wolves. No one mentioned LMLs but you..