Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: road deactivations for sensitive habitat

Re: road deactivations for sensitive habitat

I'm into the obliterate too like stated above, i've seen one that was obliterated and it got me motivated, so I investigated, and yes it was abbreviated and shortened but totally messed up so no vehicle or bike cood even try to go there! I couldn't believe my eyes!

Jelly ( Obliterate ) relegate and investigate, don't hesitate, then Oh Blitt Er Ate --> will help all animals and wildlife in my not so humble oh pin yun!

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
    My personal thought is that there should be a defined and limited Total Length of Road (TLR). In a given forest region. If you want to make another 20 km of road somewhere and your region has maxed out it's TLR then you have to go somewhere within that region and make 20 km of existing road absolutely unpassable.
    This! Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan f. View Post
    This! Great idea.
    In theory but there is complications once you add forestry one of BCs largest industries

Most don’t realize the reason many roads are only mildly deactivated after a block is logged is because often the road is planned to be reopened. This is because blocks are already planned for the area in a future date to stagger the harvest

This to limit environmental impact and cost

change is needed but have to find options that work big picture wise not just what hunters want. Even part of the hunting community would fight against it do to lose of access lowering the odds of this ever being approved

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    In theory but there is complications once you add forestry one of BCs largest industries

Most don’t realize the reason many roads are only mildly deactivated after a block is logged is because often the road is planned to be reopened. This is because blocks are already planned for the area in a future date to stagger the harvest

change is needed but have to find options that work big picture wise not just what hunters want. Even part of the hunting community would fight against it do to lose of access lowering the odds of this ever being approved
    I agree. I have spots that I camp with family in the non hunting season and guys in here are saying dig up the roads so I can’t ? And what about the non hunters and people who fish ? F them to eh ?
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Hunters can get into hunting areas like their own back yard over their life time, And watch and observe how the area is going over the period of time.

-- Hunters know where they had the most success also over time.
    Jelly Von Cooper Dooper ---> MU 3-28 is my fave --- it's my country to hunt --> for muley --

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post

Agreed. They don't have to obliterate the entire road though. If they just do 500m of it and leave the remaining road behind, that will stop almost everyone from getting through there. They can recreate that 500m the next time they need to get in there. Yes it will add cost but we have to eliminate some roads soon or there won't be many critters left out there.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Why not just make it, No motorized vehicles allowed.
    Sure you will probably get the asshats who don't care about the rules, but those would be few and far between..No
    Thoughts ..

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Why not just make it, No motorized vehicles allowed.
    Sure you will probably get the asshats who don't care about the rules, but those would be few and far between..No
    Thoughts ..
    You'd be shocked to know just how many 'asshats' ignore the No motorized vehicles signs.

I agree that the road should be ripped out as soon as the tree planters are done.
    can't, the forest companies are responsible for the block until it is deemed "free growing"....usually around 7 years as I understand it. The forestry departments need access at least until that point to do their work.

Around here (quesnel) the only deactivations are the actual roads in the individual block, very rarely do you ever see an actual spur road deactivated as its more than likely they are going back into the area in future to log more and they don't want to rebuild the road. Certainly not the greatest situation for the critters, but we live in a province thats pretty dependant on resource industries....is what it is.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

good points wil
    can be a long term problem in areas where the practice has changed to smaller cut blocks.
    The checker board squares get taken out over a long time so the mains stay open

L T, roads to rec areas or fishing lakes will always be open , no worries there
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole