Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: road deactivations for sensitive habitat

Re: road deactivations for sensitive habitat

Deactivate them!
    I'm glad they're doing a bunch of them north of Kamloops right now. There's no wood of any value left to log in most of the area that's getting done right now anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by tipper View Post
    Deactivate them!
    I'm glad they're doing a bunch of them north of Kamloops right now. There's no wood of any value left to log in most of the area that's getting done right now anyways.
    Situations like north of Kamloops, even west of it etc.
    Areas like that where it is near impossible to walk 5 minutes should have many of those side roads completely
    obliterated beyond atv use.
    At the same point, it then restricts FN (I say that cause we have an atv ban up there in 3-29/3-30, but only for residents), which then makes it fair for everyone, and more importantly, gives wildlife a break.
    Leave the main FSR's alone obviously.
    But other areas in the province have had major logging, but don't necessarily have the road network created like a big spider web like you see in the example given above.
    All I am saying is, just because we close off the roads, even to the point of keeping ORV's out, will help some (and every little bit counts here folks), it wont necessarily "make more game"!
    There is too much evidence for that to show it wont.
    Meanwhile Preds have no problems getting around regardless.
    Breaking up spur roads is just one small facet.
    The size and # of cutblocks in a given area have also be given some discussion.
    (I guess we will only see that after the beetles are all done, or the logging companies are all done or fires burn it, meaning all the green stuff that is left in the province)

Look at Scottie Cr/Loon Lake to Arrowstone to Red Lake to Hihium and even more north and east etc.
    Try to tell me where 1 cutblock ends and another starts????
    And yes, roads everywhere.
    But then, you look at a n area where I hunt in the EK, there aren't that many "new roads"(not compared to Kamy),
    and yet those old original roads have no mature growth left, just one cutblock after the next.

It's amazing how for so many years I hunted areas that looked relatively the same year in and year out.
    And now for the past 15 or so, I don't even recognize some places anymore.

So yes, deactivating roads completely wont make it worse, that's for sure, but it's not the "magic pill" either.
    And don't forget, keeping some roads open let us go to our fishing areas, and, we all get older, and for some, vehicle is
    about the only way to get around. (and that's coming from a guy who hiked a lot and rarely road hunted)

while I agree that road deactivation wont stop the wolves, I think we need to cut off vehicle access to lots of areas, and force the "road hunters" to get off their a$$es and start walking. Just my opinion though, and I'm sure many would disagree with me.
    Firearms and fishing rods, my idea of a good time!

well if the roads are blocked it will just turn into a drive by smash and grab . As many hiking trails have become . As far as the logging roads them being blocked is another step as forest fire access

Just to be CLEAR ! the ATV band ( mu's 3-28 3-29 3-30 ) is ONLY if your HUNTING you can still ride a atv while sight seeing - bird watching - fishing etc JUST Not for use to HUNT or Transport game - Supplies etc to do with hunting ! and the closure date is Sept 1 - Dec 10 ! RJ

Page 43 Bottom Section of row 2 tells All !

uATV for Hunting Closed Areas: Theoperation of all ATVs to hunt wildlife,transport wildlife, transport equipmentand supplies which are intendedfor or in support of hunting, ortransport hunters to and from thelocation of wildlife is prohibited inthat portion of MU 3-17 north of Hwy99 and MUs 3-28, 3-29 and 3-30 fromSeptember 1 to December 10.
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 11-20-2018 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Just to be CLEAR ! the ATV band ( mu's 3-28 3-29 3-30 ) is ONLY if your HUNTING you can still ride a atv while sight seeing - bird watching - fishing etc JUST Not for use to HUNT or Transport game - Supplies etc to do with hunting ! and the closure date is Sept 1 - Dec 10 ! RJ

uATV for Hunting Closed Areas: Theoperation of all ATVs to hunt wildlife,transport wildlife, transport equipmentand supplies which are intendedfor or in support of hunting, ortransport hunters to and from thelocation of wildlife is prohibited inthat portion of MU 3-17 north of Hwy99 and MUs 3-28, 3-29 and 3-30 fromSeptember 1 to December 10.

yup, your right.
    But, my buddies who have the atv's ( I don't) are the ones who think those areas should then be off limits to any atv, for any purpose, for the entire year!!

Same goes for other areas, like road restrictions for hunting.
    Why not close it off "all year, for everyone"!
    Think off all the snowmobiling that goes on after the hunting season ends, and right at the time wildlife need the most rest (not saying that they snow mobile around winter range as some areas the game is long gone).

Atleast if they "tear up the roads" big time, and it is impassible with atv's or whatever else, then atleast "no one" can get in there, atleast on 2 feet.
    At least it is better then just a "deactivated puny ditch" or worse "a plastic sign" that says off limits.
    Even this year in those atv fire ban mu's, you see sign of atv's all over the place.
    Worse, many atv's now using those fire perimeter roads that are actually "totally off limits"!
    I can see the "shed hunters" on atv fiasco already coming this spring.

Tearing up roads, rather then just a ditch sign, is definitely the way to go moving forward, and maybe along the way they can do it to some of the older ones as they go by???

don't forget how many acres of roads are displacing forests from regrowing...cutting trees on a future road often helps offset a large amount of the cost in building a road..why wouldn't we want all skid trails and side roads REPLANTED!!!!!!!! deactivation is the wrong word in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by murph83 View Post
    while I agree that road deactivation wont stop the wolves, I think we need to cut off vehicle access to lots of areas, and force the "road hunters" to get off their a$$es and start walking. Just my opinion though, and I'm sure many would disagree with me.
    Then everyone will cry about to many bush hunters haha !
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post

Why did they pick these MU’s ?
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    Then everyone will cry about to many bush hunters haha !
    Well, ya i guess folks will always find something to gripe about.
    Firearms and fishing rods, my idea of a good time!