Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: road deactivations for sensitive habitat

Re: road deactivations for sensitive habitat

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    What would be the reason to not de-activate roads after siviculture work is done??
    To explore “super natural BC” ! The bush doesn’t revolve around hunters.... OR do you believe we should only be allowed to explore only what the Gov says ?
    Last edited by limit time; 11-19-2018 at 02:28 PM.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

I agree with complete and total road obliteration. Once the tree planting folks are done, rip up the road and turn it back over to nature. We need more of this in BC.
    Firearms and fishing rods, my idea of a good time!

To point out the obvious, wolves aren't slowed much by a ditch or a gate or even most obliterated sections. They will always move more quickly over land that has been cleared and graded than through virgin forest.

I don't have a problem with laws that limit vehicular access, they can be added and removed as necessary much more easily than obliterated roads can be restored.
    Last edited by albravo2; 11-19-2018 at 05:06 PM.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by murph83 View Post
    I agree with complete and total road obliteration. Once the tree planting folks are done, rip up the road and turn it back over to nature. We need more of this in BC.
    Grade is not cheap to build, we will be back up the roads to log again, and again, and again...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

The logging companies usually re-activate the road to log again after things green up. Theres a lot of rules to logging since the old “log it, burn it, pave it” days. They’re only allowed taking small patches at a time to leave habitat for animals and keep things nice for the tourists.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

We definitely need to deal with the wolf issue. Roads or no roads, that has to get done.

As for those that think a sign or regulation saying "vehicle closure" will help, I have a large piece of property with "No Trespassing" signs everywhere but if I leave my huge steel gate open for my convenience, at least 1 in 10 will drive right past my gate. Signs only keep the honest people out and sadly the percentage of honest people is way lower than many of you might think. The last pair I caught was a couple of old retired guys out for a mid week quad ride. They knew better... and they REALLY know better now after our chat.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
    We definitely need to deal with the wolf issue. Roads or no roads, that has to get done.

As for those that think a sign or regulation saying "vehicle closure" will help, I have a large piece of property with "No Trespassing" signs everywhere but if I leave my huge steel gate open for my convenience, at least 1 in 10 will drive right past my gate. Signs only keep the honest people out and sadly the percentage of honest people is way lower than many of you might think. The last pair I caught was a couple of old retired guys out for a mid week quad ride. They knew better... and they REALLY know better now after our chat.
    Id have some fun with that one. Close the gate and lock them in. Lol
    then you’d have to worry a bout property damage.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Id have some fun with that one. Close the gate and lock them in. Lol
    then you’d have to worry a bout property damage.
    I've done that. They are usually pretty beaky until they realize that without my key they're screwed. You can almost see their face change when they finally figure that out. It's pretty funny actually.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Was surprised when I first found a short road totally obliterated this year, side to side for about 1/2km - could hardly walk on it. Quads, no way.

Anyways it was only a short walk over a hill from another road to get into where this road used to go.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    Was surprised when I first found a short road totally obliterated this year, side to side for about 1/2km - could hardly walk on it. Quads, no way.

Anyways it was only a short walk over a hill from another road to get into where this road used to go.
    Sounds like the time I packed in a belly boat with several other guys to some "out of the way" hotspot.
    Hiked almost 2 hrs, only to hear the sound of a boat motor when nearing the lake.
    Yup, guy used an atv to haul in a boat that was no more then 10 minutes walking from the "new road"!!!!