Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mid season whitetail tactics

Mid season whitetail tactics

Planning on heading to 8-8 for some whitetail next week. What do some of the more experienced whitetail hunters have to say about calling? Grunt tube, rattling or doe bleats or combination of all three. I have yet to take a whitetail and this will be my third attempt. I might also mention I am rifle hunting. Thanks in advance, I will just await input. Cheers.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mid season whitetail tactics

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    Planning on heading to 8-8 for some whitetail next week. What do some of the more experienced whitetail hunters have to say about calling? Grunt tube, rattling or doe bleats or combination of all three. I have yet to take a whitetail and this will be my third attempt. I might also mention I am rifle hunting. Thanks in advance, I will just await input. Cheers.
    Can bleat in heat things work on occasion, same with a grunt tube. Neither one reaches out very far, nor should it. Both these calls are done very quietly in the wild, by the time a deer can hear them they are very close already. I use them when deer are hung up or to settle them down while still hunting keep em thinkin I'm just another deer. Fawn call works great while still hunting too, fawn distress if you want to really reach out and suck one in from a ways. I'll leave a grunt tube or fawn call in my mouth to stop a buck for a good shot also. Rattling is my favourite really reaches out on a cool crisp morning, but it can spook does off and during the rut I want to use them as bait. Can't beat sitting on does this time of year.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

From my brother's hunt in Southern Ontario yesterday.

Big ole carcass on him! I would be confused skinning hoisted by the antlers, kind of like a doe something just ain't right?
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

All my Ontario friends tell me 'upside down' (as shown)
    is normal/correct

they say it keeps all the 'taint' at the lowest end

makes sense I suppose yet it always looks wrong to me

each to his/her own I guess

I’m self taught, and I’ve always hept the poopy side down. It just makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    I’m self taught, and I’ve always hept the poopy side down. It just makes sense to me.
    Looks like a headache to me

okay...op not really mid season trip the whitetails will be starting to rut... besure of your target. as mule deer will be in rut...and are closed.
    region 8-8 isnt probably the choicest regions for whitetail and region 8 but there are some.
    insure you bring neccesary equipment expect icy conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by whognu View Post
    All my Ontario friends tell me 'upside down' (as shown)
    is normal/correct

they say it keeps all the 'taint' at the lowest end

makes sense I suppose yet it always looks wrong to me

each to his/her own I guess
    If knife work has been sloppy don't matter how it's hung it's tainted. And so what, skin all the hide of the head to prevent hair dirt and bark from 'tainting' the skinned carcass below? I just always thought the tendons above knuckle were put there to hang from. Maybe just a butcher thing. Seems like a Yankee thing...

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    okay...op not really mid season trip the whitetails will be starting to rut... besure of your target. as mule deer will be in rut...and are closed.
    region 8-8 isnt probably the choicest regions for whitetail and region 8 but there are some.
    insure you bring neccesary equipment expect icy conditions.
    Paulo... post your pic for us (good luck hunting btw). My former life (Ontario) I would find a transition area from heavy cover to open field, fence line... lay down a bit of scent trail (a few squirts here and there) .... in the direction of a clear shot for you. Start rattling ... don't be afraid to move around and then back track to your start point. It is the best of both techniques of still hunting and stalking. Don't forget your thermos of tea ....