Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on hunting WT in December?

Tips on hunting WT in December?

Hey everyone,

This will be my second time specifically going out for white tail and my first time bowhunting them.
    I have a spot in mind already, but Im curious which dates would offer the best advantage

Dec 1-4, I was thinking might be able to catch the tail end of some rut action, or too late?

or

Dec 14-18, a couple weeks since any guns going off in the woods and maybe the deer will have chilled out more?

I have never hunted this late into a season, any pointers on how my strategy should change for this time of year? What is deer activity like?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tips on hunting WT in December?

Should be some rutting still first week of dec.......sit sit, sit.....

Poke around a bit that time of year in the Okanagan. Some big bucks that survive the rifle bombarding will be on the prowl all day long for straggler does. I've found the deer are hitting food sources regularly during this time. I use cob to get the does coming and just sit on them does. First time I tried it 4 point buck was first deer to show up on it 3 hrs after putting it out, mid afternoon well before dark. It works, I set up ground blind still trying to play the wind and set up accordingly. Best success is setting blind/bait up couple days prior to hunting it, let's the deer become comfortable with changing their dining room configuration. Good luck
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Biggest wt buck I've seen was around dec.10 chasing does. Was walking with the wife, got within 40 yds of him no tag left. Pushed him a bit towards buddy sitting in my blind. Texted him to be ready and ten minutes later he'd traveled a few km and walked right into the does at the setup. Buddy sailed bolt over top of him. Buck sauntered off nose to the ground...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

this thread is awesome

It might help to know what region you are hunting. Different approaches for different geographic locations. Different approach for different kind of weather.
    The "most" efficient way to hunt whitetails in December is by treestand. There is simply no disputing it. Of course it's your decision how you want to hunt.
    Typically you are hunting a patterned feeding bedding scenario. How close you set up to the feeding area, makes a difference. How close you set up to the bedding area, makes a difference. Temperature makes a difference, prevailing winds makes a difference. Snow or no snow.... makes a difference.

A few factors to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    It might help to know what region you are hunting. Different approaches for different geographic locations. Different approach for different kind of weather.
    Ill be hunting crown land bordering private farms in 8-23

Its low elevation, generally milder weather. Hopefully some fresh snow on the ground

I was planning on ambushing first/last light and maybe try still hunting with my friend during the day and bump deer into eachother

Also, I was reading that the bucks can be so famished from the rut that they can be out at all times of the day trying to get some extra food in. Any truth to that?

I have seen bucks sneaking back to fields at mid day late season before, now that you mention it

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfauste View Post
    Ill be hunting crown land bordering private farms in 8-23

Its low elevation, generally milder weather. Hopefully some fresh snow on the ground

I was planning on ambushing first/last light and maybe try still hunting with my friend during the day and bump deer into eachother

Also, I was reading that the bucks can be so famished from the rut that they can be out at all times of the day trying to get some extra food in. Any truth to that?
    Ambushing whitetail with a bow is an interesting term. In my own opinion, creating a situation that moves deer around, in hopes you can get an offhand shot off, particularly if you are new to this, is a high risk activity. There are so many factors that weigh on a good kill shot, the only way to reduce risk and increase kill, is by being undetected and stationary. Control the distance, control the shot.

if there is snow, walk through the area, find a pocket that has appeal to you, (you can tell when their feeding through, or moving through) set up a treestand. Quietly. Do your reconnaissance mid day. And be quiet. Get a stand set up, back out quietly and then pattern your sits in the stand either dawn, or dusk, or mid day, or all day.

You can not argue with the proven approach to tree stands.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Ambushing whitetail with a bow is an interesting term. In my own opinion, creating a situation that moves deer around, in hopes you can get an offhand shot off
    Thanks for the advice, sounds like tree stand is probably the best bet.

Just to clarify, my description of the bumping strategy was poor. We are not gunna be flinging arrows at anything that moves, we are both very ethical and wont be taking shots unless they are 40yd (or less) broadside shots on standing still animals