Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Sustenance hunt?????

Re: Sustenance hunt?????

FN have the right to hunt the way they want, we cannot really dictate what is right or wrong for them. Is it ok for them to shoot a 5 yr old ram? what about a ewe?

Anyways, the only issue/concern that can be addressed with FN hunting is to ensure the species can handle it. If a species is declining or not healthy enough to support hunting then FN or anyone else does not have the right to hunt them. I would be onboard criticizing a hunt that was threatening a species but I am not going to criticize an FN because he shot a big animal and put in the effort to do it, actually more power to him.

We get mad that FN's drive around in their trucks shooting immature animals and now we are getting mad that they are putting in the effort and hunting hard to take a mature specimen. Seems like a lot of hate no matter what the situation is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbob View Post
    FN have the right to hunt the way they want, we cannot really dictate what is right or wrong for them. Is it ok for them to shoot a 5 yr old ram? what about a ewe?

Anyways, the only issue/concern that can be addressed with FN hunting is to ensure the species can handle it. If a species is declining or not healthy enough to support hunting then FN or anyone else does not have the right to hunt them. I would be onboard criticizing a hunt that was threatening a species but I am not going to criticize an FN because he shot a big animal and put in the effort to do it, actually more power to him.

We get mad that FN's drive around in their trucks shooting immature animals and now we are getting mad that they are putting in the effort and hunting hard to take a mature specimen. Seems like a lot of hate no matter what the situation is.
    We are all supposed to follow the seasons and adhere by the LEH REGULATIONS, Jimbob.

Jimbob I can hear your frustration, it's a no win situation, too small- too big, sounds like a couple of my X's Hahahahahaha
    --you try your darndest to please and then they got yah on yer knees
    some people hate and don;t relegate, don't care and give an evil stare

Jelly The De Looshinal Poet --> Yah got my jaw flappin I gotta start rappin gotta go Koko moe -- c you later aligator - after awhile crocodile --

Have to [sadly] agree. It's very frustrating to hear of an apparently cranker of a ram being shot in a situation outside of the rules for most people, but the reality is the rules ARE different for FN and not just on average animals. We often talk as hunters about the importance of taking animals who are old and have had chance to pass on the genes, that's one of the reasons we take "trophy" class animals. While it's more frustrating because now the opportunity is lost for everyone else, at least it wasn't a ewe which would have impacted the reproductive capacity of the herd. All I can say is that it sucks, but as long he followed "their" rules, there's not much that can be done... I mean given the legally entrenched rights provided to FN to hunt and fish, what do you want things changed to? You can only hunt immature animals or ewes? I say that's worse.

'Sustenance' hunt . . . .
    Sustenance is derived from the words 'to sustain' . . . .
    Did the poacher fingered in this travesty need that ram to be able to sustain himself ?
    He's a bad joke on hunters of any color/stripe . . .

Sustain the human ding dong holy, the sustenance is to feed the hungry and elderly the meat for protein -- it's sustain the human not the animal in this case!
    Ace hasn't got a card uo his sleeve Hahahahahaha
    Jel -- A human needs to eat -- to sustain him or herself Hahahahaha -- some people's hahahaha

Yes, FN's have the right to hunt for sustenance . Consider the fact that he lives in cranbrook and could have shot an elk or deer within minuets of his house....is driving 2hrs and hiking another 2-3hrs to shoot a 190" ram sustenance hunting?? It's funny how some FN will shoot the first animal they can and claim sustenance but others shoot trophy class animals for sustenance.

Though I have no issue with sustenance hunting I feel that when certain species are harvested as sustenance, the trophy portion should have to be turned over to the ministry!!

This area is not leh!! The big Rams don't move into this area until the last few days of October or early November.
    Last edited by j270wsm; 11-16-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Do I agree with it nope but odds are he is within his rights as a FN. this has nothing to do with it being a big ram but instead think we should all be under the same regulations

Funny argument with this whole sustenance hunt (part of it anyways) is this:

FN can not digest regular red meat, it has to be wild. (just like the alcohol argument).
    Explain to me why every time I am either headed up thru Hope or back down thru Hope at stop at McD's that
    the place is filled mostly with FN!!??
    Thought they cant eat "regular meat".???

Yup, inside the rights been given to them, but the "divide" continuous to grow!

This was not a sustenance hunt, period. This time of year large mature rams that typically reside on mine property leave for the rut and to winter. Access to them becomes much easier and also allows one to look over many more record book rams.This ram was targeted purely as a trophy, nothing more. It’s sad and frustrating that this is allowed to occur. Sitting back and keeping quiet will not bring change, this type of abuse needs to be ended.