Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Sustenance hunt?????

Re: Sustenance hunt?????

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    I think your missing the point somewhat. Aside from any conservation concerns, it is a question of Ethics and responsible actions. I like yourself, have the ability to hunt anytime I like, but we both abide by the rules (laws), and only hunt at prescribed times of the year. As I stated in an earlier post, if your going to advertise yourself and your community as conservationists, you had better follow through, or you will be seen as the hypocrite you truly are, and suffer the condemnation of your peers. I believe this is exactly what you are seeing by many who are posting here. Further more using the excuse that it is a traditional right established over generations to hunt anytime you like, may have worked in the past. With habitat loss and diminishing wildlife populations as they presently are, hunting outside established seasons is unsustainable and will lead to loss of any hereditary right as game populations will not withstand the pressure.
    I'm pretty sure I follow your point. But your point is exactly what FN are fighting and basically what the courts have said is wrong. We cannot impose our ideas of ethics on FN. What is ethical for me and what is ethical for FN are two different things. In a very literal sense poaching does not exist for FN. They do not have a law so how can we accuse them of breaking a law? Yes, if I went and hunted that ram it would be wrong for a variety of reasons. I am bound by a certain set of laws and ethics that are tied to those laws.

I am not saying whether I agree with the above or not but just that it exists. Denying that it exists or not acknowledging that it exists just seems crazy to me. It is a reality upheld by our highest courts.

I think we have to work within this reality and figure the best possible outcomes. If you want to change the opinions/rulings of the supreme court then I think your dreaming. History of events and the way this country was founded has put us into these circumstances and there is no way to change history.

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    Yes, FN's have the right to hunt for sustenance . Consider the fact that he lives in cranbrook and could have shot an elk or deer within minuets of his house....is driving 2hrs and hiking another 2-3hrs to shoot a 190" ram sustenance hunting?? It's funny how some FN will shoot the first animal they can and claim sustenance but others shoot trophy class animals for sustenance.

Though I have no issue with sustenance hunting I feel that when certain species are harvested as sustenance, the trophy portion should have to be turned over to the ministry!!

This area is not leh!! The big Rams don't move into this area until the last few days of October or early November.
    He already killed a elk and mule deer this year. Wonder what was wrong with the 4 herds of sheep between his house and the mine? Also curious if Abe’s first preference was the mine or if Kamloops and Salmo came up first?🙄
    I'm that guy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    WHY ?? should ANY first nations person get to harvest any animal then in a legal hunting season witha a legal hunting licence and tag ?? What makes First Nations better then any one else born and raised here ? Getting Pretty ***en Tired of this Bullsh*t ! RJ
    History man. FN had title to the land before Britain arrived. This title was CONFIRMED by Britain. They said that no land could be taken from FN without a treaty or a deal being made. 1. No treaty was made in some places - that means title was never transferred 2. Treaties were made that GAVE FN right over and above the rights that the regular citizens had. Our country was founded on this two-tier system. This is why we are in this messed up situation now. FN were not conquered by Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    My opinion is that shooting a 190" ram off the top of a mountain with no road access isn't a sustenance hunt. It's a trophy hunt!! And that is why I posted it here. Hopefully something comes from all of the complaints.
    I AGREE for sure TROPHY hunt ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    WHY ?? should ANY first nations person get to harvest any animal then in a legal hunting season witha a legal hunting licence and tag ?? What makes First Nations better then any one else born and raised here ? Getting Pretty ***en Tired of this Bullsh*t ! RJ
    Amen Remington Jim, all Canadians but two sets of rules, pure bullshit !

I'll admit I haven't read everything on this thread or regarding the thread... but it seems like it's going sideways...

but I say we all push to get status cards...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine85 View Post
    He already killed a elk and mule deer this year. Wonder what was wrong with the 4 herds of sheep between his house and the mine? Also curious if Abe’s first preference was the mine or if Kamloops and Salmo came up first?

please elaborate? Am I thinking the right abe? If so Maby they should
    make sure this ram wasn’t shot 18km into Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenaykid85 View Post
    please elaborate? Am I thinking the right abe? If so Maby they should
    make sure this ram wasn’t shot 18km into Alberta
    Haha same guy.
    I'm that guy!!!

The way we do it in the North Thompson and the area around for sheep, is we have an agreement among the Indians not to shoot those sheep everyone can see around the area.
    No one can make an Indian not shoot them legally butt the bands agreed not to shoot or kill those particular sheep, Cali's. Brought in as a pilot project in the 60's
    C.O. can't stop them, cop can't stop them , the chief can't stop a Status Indian from sustenance hunting -- so
    -- Not to get everyone riled no one shoots those sheep as a gesture of support for community wellness -->
    -- If a person has an actual Status Card registered in Ottawa he or she could shoot all of those sheep if he was feeding someone, but because of the community agreement with the Ministry and local sheep clubs, the bands had meetings addressing this issue and agreed to be a player with the Kamloops team. Shook hands with all players, and all work together still and more after decades of seeing these sheep flourish --
    Jel --> Federal, Provincial two different things -- like the RCMP is Federal and the Vancouver Police are City -- two different levels of enforcement --
    I'm just trying to explain how it works without getting anyone overly adversarial, this is the way it is so You or I ain't going to change it.
    --> If you can get the government to make all people who ride pedal bikes or motor bikes to wear helmets then we can talk changes to these things ok-
    Last edited by Jelvis; 11-16-2018 at 07:38 PM. Reason: MULE DEER are thee perfect wild animal in the world

guest Guest

Dudes a POACHER.

Period.

One law for all.