Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolves in the Okanagan

Re: Wolves in the Okanagan

I have wolves on camera in big white, carmi/beaverdell, and terrace mountain. Wolves also spotted near chute lake, Christian Valley and Oyama as well. All elevations both sides of the big drink. One even had a collar. From what I have heard BC doesn't collar wolves....
    Last edited by Seeker; 11-15-2018 at 10:29 PM.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by one-shot-wonder View Post
    Ironically I had a pair of wolves cruise by my cam in region 3 last week within 20 yards, just out of range. Same thing applied yesterday in region 8, although I chalk up the R8 cam missed them as it is a cheap Tasco.
    On My cams in 3-29 3-30 also cats. No deer in the area since the first big snow in October so they should be gone since there's only the odd moose up my way.

Also when did grizzly move into 29?

Quote Originally Posted by mmckimmi View Post
    I've seen tracks every now and then but never heard nor seen them in the woods around kelowna / penticton area
    Tomorrow is day 5 of a 5 day whitetail hunt in the Kelowna/Penticton area, and I’ve seen fresh wolf tracks every day, and these are BIG tracks. Tuesday morning I was just heading in to a sitting spot that I have and was walking the slow quiet walk and saw movement and a lone black wolf did a diagonal run/trot in front of me from my 3 o’clock to my 9 o’clock at about 40’ away. Both Tuesday and Wednesday I heard tons of howling right through mid day. I can assure you that there are plenty of big wolves in the central Okanagon.

Last Saturday in area of Terrace Mountain while bush hunting with my dog(leashed) I came across tracks of large MD followed
    by a wolf tracks, all in a previous night snow. I followed it for a while with my dog(untypical Rhodesian) and suddenly he got super excited and almost hyper ventilated and ready to run the track. It was hard to hold him back. He is only a year and a half old with no experience, so I decided to retreat to the truck about 300 yards away. At the truck I unleashed Zulu so we can load in but instead he made a small circle and bolted down the dirt road and disappeared around the corner, but run back right away on a recall. We got in to truck and I drove 100 yards when I seen him watching us from behind a thick bush. I of course jumped out of the truck but he was gone before I grabbed the gun. Lone big grey colour wolf. Never seen the Mule deer.

Rarely see predators on a series of cams in Region 8 but have a few spots were preds are always around. Pulled this cam out after a month as I didn't want to encourage deer with attractants to this spot anymore given regular predator sightings. Only white-tail deer. Hope pics work on here of a cam East of Kelowna.

Seeing Wolves on my Trail Cam in Harris Creek area. Heard an entire Pack last Winter but due to work schedule I did not have an opportunity to hunt them. I'll be making more effort this Winter.

Region 8-10 early this year...
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Was hunting up around Princeton a few weeks ago and saw a lot of fairly large tracks half melted in maybe an inch of snow. Can't guarantee they were wolf, but looked way too big to be coyote. Quite a few cat tracks as well. Only saw one rabbit in 7 days (was tripping over them last year) and no grouse whatsoever...
    Chat with the couple in the outdoor store and she mentioned that there were a couple packs around and very few sightings of calf elk this year...

I've had wolves on my cameras near Chute lake multiple times. It is the same group everytime.