Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wolves in the Okanagan

Re: Wolves in the Okanagan

Anyone know of a trapper or someone that lives around Cache Creek that wants to hunt/trap wolves????
    If so, let me know or pm me!
    Sorry OP, didn't mean to take away from "wolves and Trail cam Pics"
    Nice stuff guys.

Hunting 8-11 behind Baldy three weeks ago. Had wolves howling behind our camp one night.

^^^^do you mean 8-12?

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    With all the talk of wolf populations on the rise in the Okanagan, how many are consistently picking up wolves on their trail cams?
    Was out this morning. 8-8. 3 wolves raising hell with the deer. It’s a crisis in some areas and a very common theme with my season so far and last. Some areas the damage done is severe, some areas the wolves are just getting started. Seems like locusts and our ungulates are the crops.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Tomorrow is day 5 of a 5 day whitetail hunt in the Kelowna/Penticton area, and I’ve seen fresh wolf tracks every day, and these are BIG tracks. Tuesday morning I was just heading in to a sitting spot that I have and was walking the slow quiet walk and saw movement and a lone black wolf did a diagonal run/trot in front of me from my 3 o’clock to my 9 o’clock at about 40’ away. Both Tuesday and Wednesday I heard tons of howling right through mid day. I can assure you that there are plenty of big wolves in the central Okanagon.
    Sure hope you took a shot at that wolf and every other wolf you see .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

hunt north ok, access to some nice private property. 5 years ago it was 90% deer on cam, the rest was cows and coyotes.

last year, and especially this year the presds have exploded on cams. we see maybe 10% deer, the rest are gbears (up to 3 at a time), cats (up to 4 at a time) and wolves now on a regular basis. got a picture a couple weeks ago of a wolf with a deer ham in its mouth running past cam.

I haven't spent the time to try patterning anything, but would love to touch base with a trapper. my biggest concern is that it's in Farm land area and I have seen neighborhood dogs show up periodically....

also went looking for moose in the north ok last week. found lots of good sign but nearly every track was covered in multiple doggy prints.... sad times for ungulates now and in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    With all the talk of wolf populations on the rise in the Okanagan, how many are consistently picking up wolves on their trail cams?
    Not one to date. Private and public land in 8-23 and 8-26 for a few years (no 8-23 cams this year tho). Maybe the specfic spots I hunt haven’t been hit hard yet but so far only see the odd track. The last pack set I recall was on the Aberdeen plateau atleast 5 years ago.