Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie to hunting

Re: Newbie to hunting

Last weekend, I was into a lot of Blue Grouse at around the 900m to 1000m elevation, BUT, on South facing Slopes.
    There was a little snow, so look for tracks made by Grouse.
    Basically the only bird like tracks you will find when out and about.
    The other grouse, like Spruce or Franklin where more "just beside the old spur roads" etc.
    They tend to like "shadier areas" (atleast the ones I was seeing) this past week beside the roads.
    The Blue's were not by the roads, but where I was hunting for MD, way off the road, but definitely where the sun hits all day.
    Once you find these areas, you can go the following year and find them approximately in the same areas/slopes. as long
    as the population is stable, which can fluctuate drastically from season to season.
    Spruce and franklins will basically sit there til you almost run them over, and can be in groups of 4 and 5.
    The Blue's tend to be "more spookier", taking flight much, much sooner.
    Sometimes they are on the ground, and many times up in the trees (Blue's).
    Sometimes a couple may take flight, BUT, a few will remain in the tree, so stop moving, use Bino's to search the tree!!
    Might still be some Blue's in there, but don't take another step, or the remaining will take flight.
    Spruce and Franklins (Ruff) will sit in trees, but you will mainly see them on the ground, and if they take off, usually tend not to fly as far away as the Blue's.
    They like to eat those "red berries" close to the ground.
    I always called that stuff Knick Knick??? (but I might be wrong and got bad info???just what I call that stuff)
    But their bellies will be full of it.

That's been my experience over the years at "this time of season".
    Earlier on, Blues like 5000ft elevation, while the others can be down lower, way lower.
    Take it for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Last weekend, I was into a lot of Blue Grouse at around the 900m to 1000m elevation, BUT, on South facing Slopes.
    There was a little snow, so look for tracks made by Grouse.
    Basically the only bird like tracks you will find when out and about.
    The other grouse, like Spruce or Franklin where more "just beside the old spur roads" etc.
    They tend to like "shadier areas" (atleast the ones I was seeing) this past week beside the roads.
    The Blue's were not by the roads, but where I was hunting for MD, way off the road, but definitely where the sun hits all day.
    Once you find these areas, you can go the following year and find them approximately in the same areas/slopes. as long
    as the population is stable, which can fluctuate drastically from season to season.
    Spruce and franklins will basically sit there til you almost run them over, and can be in groups of 4 and 5.
    The Blue's tend to be "more spookier", taking flight much, much sooner.
    Sometimes they are on the ground, and many times up in the trees (Blue's).
    Sometimes a couple may take flight, BUT, a few will remain in the tree, so stop moving, use Bino's to search the tree!!
    Might still be some Blue's in there, but don't take another step, or the remaining will take flight.
    Spruce and Franklins (Ruff) will sit in trees, but you will mainly see them on the ground, and if they take off, usually tend not to fly as far away as the Blue's.
    They like to eat those "red berries" close to the ground.
    I always called that stuff Knick Knick??? (but I might be wrong and got bad info???just what I call that stuff)
    But their bellies will be full of it.

That's been my experience over the years at "this time of season".
    Earlier on, Blues like 5000ft elevation, while the others can be down lower, way lower.
    Take it for what its worth.
    Good information Bugle M In ! Good of you to post this, that is what makes this site great keep the info coming fellas ! I think the plant you are reffering to is this . http://cwf-fcf.org/en/resources/ency...bearberry.html Also someone told me to not wipe out a whole group something about conserving some of the group . Move on to a different group .

Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 11-17-2018 at 05:59 PM.

This is all really good information. I am starting to get a better idea on where to look (especially the various types of grouse). I appreciate all the help for a newbie. If anyone is up hunting around the williams lake area and wouldn't mind taking a new guy out, shoot me a message!

well bugle m in gave you the straight goods...

really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Good information Bugle M In ! Good of you to post this, that is what makes this site great keep the info coming fellas ! I think the plant you are reffering to is this . http://cwf-fcf.org/en/resources/ency...bearberry.html Also someone told me to not wipe out a whole group something about conserving some of the group . Move on to a different group .

Arctic Lake
    yup, bearberry!, that's the stuff.
    And yes, never take the whole group. (really good advice there for everyone)
    I think one reason I see B-G in the same area every year is due to them not ever being really shot at.
    The Ruff and Spruce, because they like to be beside the roads too often, tend to be more hit and miss as to
    where they will be.
    If I don't hunt them, they tend to be there again the next (but it depends on the climate for the year)
    My opinion is the males taste better (should I say, more tender then the hens).