Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to hunting

Newbie to hunting

Im new to hunting. I live near williams lake and am interested in trying for most small game. Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to find snowshoe hare and grouse. Ive been doing a lot of hiking around different places and haven't seen much. Any tips would be helpful!!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Newbie to hunting

Howdy! Welcome to HBC!

I just got started chasing grouse around Kamloops this season - I have lived here a few years but haven't been out hunting until this Fall. Have been having a blast so far! For small game it's about putting in the time and burning some boot leather (and maybe some gas too!); I'm not familiar with the Williams Lake area but in general, here's what has worked for me this year:

- Get yourself a backroad map book and get familiar with it. In particular I've had a lot of luck driving up the "main" FSRs and then hiking along older overgrown FSRs and game trails; There's always a rabbit or grouse hiding somewhere!

- Get familiar with what is Crown, Private, and Leased Land so that you are stayin' out of trouble. Check out the FCBC Discovery tool (http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/mapping/) that works with Google Earth on your PC or the iMap BC tool (https://maps.gov.bc.ca/ess/hm/imap4m/); for either tool you'll have to play with the filters a bit but once you get it dialed in it is pretty straightforward to use.

- On slower or non-productive days, try to trick yourself into thinking you're just out there for a hike and to take in the scenery and fresh air, it's a lot easier on the soul if you end up going home skunked

I won't add this to my main list but if you have a hunting-type dog or have a friend with one, ask to tag along and learn to work with the dog - it's a ton of fun and incredibly satisfying to work your dog, chase some game, and then be coming home with a good story and a few birds.

Good luck!

imack91, ive been putting most my focus on the smaller pine bettle logging roads. They tend to branch off a lot so i figured there is more ground that is easier to traverse. Im just not 100% sure what i need to be looking for. All i have found is 1 track here and there. Nothing consistent.

find out what they eat? Once you know where and what they eat, then you go during shooting light from morning to dark -->
    --- Birds of prey are looking too so go where you see lots of hawks and birds of prey

Jel -- jist an idea from me -- maybe it cood work for you --> some member on here will help like share as imack91 has already helped you out --

https://www.birdatlas.bc.ca

Elevation is huge. This site has elevation charts that shiuld help you find specific species

for small game hunting,[[for deer too],and for young fella like yu small used trail bike might be very useful machine,,i dont know yu walled but for me earlier years when money was hard to keep,,,[family of 6] small bike take yu places truck no go...and gas bill--wayy less..atv of coarse is great,but expensive =..cheers f--G

interesting thread, I have the same question
    Last edited by barongan; 11-16-2018 at 11:26 AM.

This late in the season I’m finding lower elevations hold more birds and when there’s a thick frost or snow you can usually still find them in the bush under thick cover where the ground hasn’t been covered in snow (so they can feed), or you’ll come across the odd bird sitting out in the sun. Finding out what they eat ain’t that hard, just gotta get yourself a grouse or two and take a look at what’s in their crop when you clean ‘em, that’ll give you a good idea of what they are feeding on.... little green leaves, berries... cheers!

imack91, that would explain the lack of birds ive been seeing. Yesterday i went out with a buddy and we saw a couple rabbit tracks. However couldn't spot the rabbit. Any tips on where the rabbits like to sit. I know rhey like the thick cover, but do they tend to sit on mounds? Maybe in depressions? Or is it more diverse on where they sit?

Quote Originally Posted by Learningeveryday View Post
    imack91, that would explain the lack of birds ive been seeing. Yesterday i went out with a buddy and we saw a couple rabbit tracks. However couldn't spot the rabbit. Any tips on where the rabbits like to sit. I know rhey like the thick cover, but do they tend to sit on mounds? Maybe in depressions? Or is it more diverse on where they sit?
    If they are white and probably are by now look for white in the brown areas. Or, in the snow you can look for their black eyes and black tip of their ears.