Thread: Mule deer question

Mule deer question

I just started hunting a year or two ago and did my first tent camping type of hunt in the Thompson Nicola region this past weekend. Camp wasn’t far off the path, but would hike around all day... ended up finding some tracks eventually (a little old but it was all there was), there was a lot of hunting pressure from the roads. We followed them, because well, we hadn’t seen anything else and thought why not? After a couple hours we ended up in a bedding area, probably came across several beds just following the tracks. They were clear of snow but the vegetation in the bed was frozen so I don’t think anything had been there the previous night... basically followed the tracks until dusk, and then went to another area to sit and glass to see if anything came out at the end of shooting time. The next morning, we picked up where we left off after following the tracks, and basically there was a decent set of tracks over top the ones we made the night earlier. They ran parallel to ours, about 30 yards off through the forest until they hit a ridge, then the tracks were right on top for quite a distance (couple hundred meters?) until they veered off back into the forest. The deer pissed on our tracks where they merged on that ridge. Is that typical behaviour? I feel like because we busted through the bedding area, the deer was checking to see where we went to make sure it was safe? Or...? Thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mule deer question

The deer was checkin you out, heard you coming - waited silently for you to walk by - then circles to smell you in the wind, and smells your gun too Hahahahaha
    -- you did right by hunting while walking slowly along, then stop and listen like the deer did. Walk slow, stop and look and listen, check wind, deer got big nostrils -
    -- if the wind is from your back it's going where your walking so keep the wind coming into your face or across your face not from behind your backside.
    Jelly -- deer are cool to hunt, deer hunting is the foundation of hunting excitement ---------------> always deer hunt when you get into action like your doing.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 11-14-2018 at 08:14 AM. Reason: HBC sticks together and helps hunters

Re: Mule deer question

Thanks Jelvis!