Thread: Track ID question

Track ID question

I'm not sure if linking the photos is working or not but here goes nothing.

Any thoughts on what this was?

I went out in 3-19 on Saturday evening. I got a bit of a late start and damn road hunters were in my way on the FSR. It's all good but after being stuck behind them for a mile or two - they headed down the track where I was going to sit for sundown! I don't want to bother other folks so I buggered off to someplace I hadn't been before. Problem was I didn't realize they were road hunters or I would have waited until they left and set up. As it was, I saw them go left where I wanted to go - so I kept on straight - went down another road and went for a walk from there. When I decided to bug out because lighting was poor enough I wasn't confident I could ID antler points if I did see anything - same truck was just up the hill from where I had decided to go on walkabout.

All good but I was bummed I hadn't just waited until they came back from where I wanted to go and set up. Before the snow, I saw a lot of sign in that area and wanted to go check it out. I'll give it a go again next week.

At my lonely spot - I only saw one set of moose tracks. But, walking back to the truck, I ran into these. Any ideas?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Track ID question

Lynx or cougar. Hard to tell size from the pictures.

cougar....

That's what I thought too. Distance between steps seems too big for a lynx - but I'm not sure. I was pretty sure it was cougar tracks. Only a couple miles from my place.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    LYNX, tracks are fuzzy on edges indicating furry feet, cougar would be a more precise print.
    ill believe this guy lol he seems to know what hes talking about

I say LYNX, tracks are fuzzy on edges indicating furry feet whereas cougar would be a more precise print.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I say LYNX, tracks are fuzzy on edges indicating furry feet whereas cougar would be a more precise print.
    Cool. I thought they were fuzzy just because they were a day or two old and the snow had melted a bit. Good insight.

I thought the length of step was too long for a lynx. But, I though the prints were a little small for a cougar.

So, I thought I would put it to the peanut gallery. Thanks for the comments.

Somebody's dog running free chasing game. If you were there on time you could have shot it.

You got bobcat, lynx and cougar. One out of three, bobcat. Why, because the tracks on the downed pecker-pole are quite distinguished and clear. No signs of matted fur on those.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"