Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What calls do you use?

Re: What calls do you use?

I can attest to the quality of Shelg's calls. Very nice sound and nice to hold.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

[QUOTE=shelg;2057639]I make my own. Can't come to spend $150 on a piece of plastic mass produced. I like the sound of wood.

How do you “tune” the calls you make? How do you determine the bore size, what reed to use etc? They look beautiful. Would be a lot of work to put it only to have it sound like a seagull. Curious to know how it all comes together.

The bore size is 1/4", this is common. Any bigger it is hard to blow. Any smaller it sounds like a kazoo. I use a jig to get the general shape. Then I file and sand to tune. The reeds are .014 Mylar. I make them either double or single reed depending on the sound I want. I heard no complaints about my calls yet. I do have a duck call firewood bin. Just a little too much sanded and it is in the garbage. It is a fine line. Just like tuning and interment.

[QUOTE=Beachcomber;2057949]
    Quote Originally Posted by shelg View Post
    I make my own. Can't come to spend $150 on a piece of plastic mass produced. I like the sound of wood.

How do you “tune” the calls you make? How do you determine the bore size, what reed to use etc? They look beautiful. Would be a lot of work to put it only to have it sound like a seagull. Curious to know how it all comes together.

[QUOTE=shelg;2058126]The bore size is 1/4", this is common. Any bigger it is hard to blow. Any smaller it sounds like a kazoo. I use a jig to get the general shape. Then I file and sand to tune. The reeds are .014 Mylar. I make them either double or single reed depending on the sound I want. I heard no complaints about my calls yet. I do have a duck call firewood bin. Just a little too much sanded and it is in the garbage. It is a fine line. Just like tuning and interment.

Thanks for the detail. Sounds like an challenging process.