Thread: jerky recipe ideas? max age of a roast?

jerky recipe ideas? max age of a roast?

I wanted to ask about your favorite recipe / marinade for jerky. I am going to try some in a new dehydrator that I have. moose and deer is what I will be using for meat.
    I also had a question about older stuff that I have found in the freezer. I pulled out a roast that was burried deep [ not sure of the age ] but thawed it some and cut off the freezer burnt edges. Inside it looked nice and clean /red meat and smelled fine to me. But I was wondering what others thought about this? Is there an age that is too old? I thought for making jerky it should be ok but at this point it may be an experiment. thanks for your thoughts. Steve

2. Site Sponsor

Re: jerky recipe ideas? max age of a roast?

Cut off the fat and freezer burned bits and giver...I slice mine about a 1/4". I use the high mountain jerky kits that you sprinkle the rub on....turns out awesome every time.
    I lay the 1/4" pieces on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper so they aren't touching, sprinkle both sides then lay a new piece of parchment and repeat. Let it sit in the fridge at least overnight, then on the smoker or dehydrator.

So I tried out a batch and I am happy with the results. I marinated 1/4" slabs of a roast in a soy sauce, brown sugar, salt , liquid smoke mix overnight . dehydrated for about 4.5 hours at 160F. I would like to try the spice rub style that you go with.

Hi Mtn jerky kits work well. They now make low sodium versions. Cracked Pepper & Garlic is my favorite
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004