Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I booked for New Zealand in March

So I booked for New Zealand in March

Going for a month. Got a fishing trip already set up north. Working on finalizing a pig hunt. Wallowing through paperwork now.

looking for any advice on hunting mountain species on the South Island, public land stuff. Don’t have the budget for a guide plus I really want to earn it.

Also any suggestions on other must do activities while we’re there. Me and my son and good friend.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: So I booked for New Zealand in March

Hmmm congrads..hunting partner went with 2 other hunters couple years ago..apparantly the fees to ensure capes are clean and shipping were stupidly and prohibitly expensive..2 guys left the entire animals..meat horns capes everything there. .one got lucky and got his added to a large collection coming bavk to BC . WASN'T EVEN certain any of the meat was utilized .
    Not sure of the exact details but my overall reaction was that wasnt good for the animals., wasted..or hunters keaving everything.
    Now may just be they didn't ask the right questions or enough questions..
    The tar look awesome and red stag roars..
    Good luck Geoff..
    Steven

Well they’re shooting critters by the thousand from helicopters over there and I’m pretty sure the meat and trophies aren’t getting used. I’ll have a plan in place.

Enjoy the adventure..fishing and hunting..pretty good..see what working hard gets you....more fun than 40 monkeys.
    However Please be careful..its not like Alberta whitetails, pronghorn..all them hills down there are mountains.
    Is it brown trout you seek?
    Cheers
    Steven
    Couple more sleeps and its off to Alberta for our adventure..

Geoff i have a friend that did New Zealand this year. It was exactly what you want to do. It was all do your own but he had hosted a Kiwi here for Whitetail prior to this hunt so that contact really helped him out. They had poor weather but made the best of it.
    Your right they are thinning out the Tahr etc right now. I wouldn't put this trip off with possible changes coming there from what social media has spoken anyway..
    They also fished . He split his skull cap and brought the antlers back in his luggage. Nathan will eventually get that episode done up. Unfortunately with a lot of cloud cover the footage may be a little dark.
    I will hook you up and send you his contact info...

Two day ocean fishing is booked. Three day hog, deer, goat hunt is booked.

Now working on getting to the south island for the rest of it. Tahr & Chamois in particular.

Phone calls and emails for the next couple months.

So exciting!! I can’t wait to go next year. My cousin just moved there and bought a house so that’s my next vacation. Post lots of pictures!!

I'd be cautious bringing any animal parts back with you. I don't doubt some have done it but my understanding is that they require at minimum a vet certificate and I doubt you can get that in a short amount of time before you leave. I'd use a reputable exporter. It will cost considerably more but you will end up getting your trophies for sure that way.

Indeed we will be using professionals for trophy transport. IF we require it.

I'm not a big taxidermy guy and it would have to be something really special to have it done, but the cost is the cost. I'm not ponying up to spend a month in New Zealand only to cheap out in the end. Aside from the pig hunt I won't be using an outfitter, so I can't really see taking any unusually large trophies. The time I spend with my kid and the photos I have of that are far more important to me.

I wasn't really referencing trophy quality. The animals are just so unique there and make such marvelous mounts....regardless of score but ya it can get expensive. We have some pretty average tahr and chamois mounted and they are very cherished "trophies"