Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blacktail rut is finally on...

Blacktail rut is finally on...

The blacktail deer rut has finally started in my area of SW BC.

I have been watching a couple different does seeing them every 2 - 3 days since early September up until yesterday all I have seen is a 2 1/2" spike hanging out with his mom I don't shoot little spikes so watched him for about 10 minutes.

Finally yesterday morning after a light snowfall one of my does popped out right in front of me with this good looking little guy following behind her.

My rifle is a single shot 14" barreled T/C G2 Contender carbine in 338JDJ #2 loaded with 180gr Accubonds @ 2500fps OAL is 28.5".

Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Blacktail rut is finally on...

Good looking buck mate. Cool rifle also. Congrats

Congrats and like the rifle set up.

I have a pro hunter any recommendations on barrels?

What barrels do you have now?

I have two Prohunter's and 3 barrels I had GunTech shortened all of my barrels to 25-06 is 24", 30-06 is 22" and 375H&H is also 22" but I wish I had it shortened it to 20".

I had a 24" Encore barrel in 45-70 but found I never shot it due to having a 14" and 22" Contender 45-70 barrels.

Best recommendation is to shorten your 28" barrels this will make then faster/handier and more accurate due to getting rid of the whip the longer barrels have the long barrels also have rifling issues.

Mine are stainless fluted the flutes now run to the end of the barrel though.

This one is my 375H&H I have it loaded with 250gr TTSX now but I'm thinking I'd like to switch them to 270gr, 300gr and 350gr loads especially if I get the barrel shortened more might even go down to 18.6" - 19" if I go to the big heavy bullets.

Last edited by Camp Cook; 11-10-2018 at 11:52 AM.

I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Nice lookin buck, cool three point! Congrats, patience paid off and pre scouting too.
    Jel -- Blacktails are cool, I hunted them in the Fraser Valley -- thanks for the great thread --

We have not seen a lot of Blacktail posted.
    Handsome Buck
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

That's because they are hanging out in heavy cover and I'm thinking have been nocturnal.

This picture is the terrain he was in.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    What barrels do you have now?

I have two Prohunter's and 3 barrels I had GunTech shortened all of my barrels to 25-06 is 24", 30-06 is 22" and 375H&H is also 22" but I wish I had it shortened it to 20".

I had a 24" Encore barrel in 45-70 but found I never shot it due to having a 14" and 22" Contender 45-70 barrels.

Best recommendation is to shorten your 28" barrels this will make then faster/handier and more accurate due to getting rid of the whip the longer barrels have the long barrels also have rifling issues.

Mine are stainless fluted the flutes now run to the end of the barrel though.

This one is my 375H&H I have it loaded with 250gr TTSX now but I'm thinking I'd like to switch them to 270gr, 300gr and 350gr loads especially if I get the barrel shortened more might even go down to 18.6" - 19" if I go to the big heavy bullets.

My pro hunter is set up with a stainless fluted 50cal muzzleloader barrel. I actually bought it because as a 50cal they are really accurate and well reviewed

I have heard the TC rifle barrels can have issues and is one reason I have held back on a rifle barrel. I have owned my pro hunter for 2years and love the fit but want to make sure a rifle barrel is worth while

Are you say cutting back the TC barrels fixed the issues with them?

Been told some of the after market barrels are good but have not found any available in Canada

Nice buck!! Got one here on the island on Wednesday, his neck was puffy and was just starting to stink

Last week the bucks where moving around my cameras. This week not so much.
    Bagged a small 2x3 with my four year old daughter last Saturday. Her second morning out and her first time seeing a kill. she was pretty excited to say the least. Even though it was a small buck It’s a trophy and a memory I’ll never forget.
    nice buck camp cook and a great little rifle for hunting blacktails
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member