Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Muley Rut is Starting

Re: The Muley Rut is Starting

Up past where your allowed to shoot, butt buddy had to shoot a four point or better, all he kept saying was " If it was October butt no "
    -- he said it's a good way to end the season, his wife told em six times is enuff Hahahahaha, I told em it's more than most Hahahaha
    Jel -- bucks are starting to get off and so are the does ---> some activity that is strong < ----------//-=
    ------------One buddy has quit for the year, too slippery on the back roads in November -- 4 by -- cost too much to get stuck and wrecked --
    Last edited by Jelvis; 11-11-2018 at 09:26 PM. Reason: MULE DEER are thee perfect wild animal in the world

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Did a little drive this morning checking for sign. Lots of movement again over night. Saw a couple does and a young 3x2 but not much was out a
    nd about. Lots of extremly fresh wolf sign pounding it hard. 3, possibly 4 dogs. That makes the life of a deer hunter just a little bit harder. Pieces of the puzzle are coming together as why movement at night and holding tight during the day.
    I had the same observations yesterday,lots of fresh wolf track up high.Hiked into an adjoining area to where we shot a tall 2-point last day of any mulie buck and had fresh tracks ,two seperate groups of buck and doe's likely the night before.Our 2-point was riping into a group of smaller poplar and his neck was swelled right up,tracks had him travelling down from higher country that day juring the first snow.
    We also seen three moose yesterday ,single bull up high and then bull and cow slowly feed thru the bush near our place 5 min behind our home :}

takla

takla
    Last edited by Takla; 11-12-2018 at 07:34 AM.
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

Now this is what I've been looking for. Another piece to a puzzle. Evidence of a big buck. Might be worth putting some time in looking for who made this rub.

No deer seen today. Had one blow at me but never saw it. Still quite a bit of movement at night. Was another good hike though. Pound the ground and something might just turn up.

Spent the weekend in the RM trench looking for a whitey, no luck on a whitey this weekend but had to let a beauty 4x4 MD walk. Swollen neck and acting stupid. Found a lot of chewed up ground and fresh rubs and evidence of sparing almost everywhere I hiked. Next weekend should be great.

Dana those are great pics. Love the rifle , looks like lots of history behind it. What cartridge is that comparing the tracks too?

Good luck out there man

Nice rub n track.
    looks like a beauty ole Parker hale 300win mag?
    Good luck, I'm jealous
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Spent the weekend in the RM trench looking for a whitey, no luck on a whitey this weekend but had to let a beauty 4x4 MD walk. Swollen neck and acting stupid. Found a lot of chewed up ground and fresh rubs and evidence of sparing almost everywhere I hiked. Next weekend should be great.

Dana those are great pics. Love the rifle , looks like lots of history behind it. What cartridge is that comparing the tracks too?

Good luck out there man
    Thanks!!! That is a 300 Win Mag for reference. Track is decent. Not quite Hawg size. Still looking though. Lots of season left. If I don't find something that is an obvious no brainer by Dec 10th, I'll be happy to eat tag soup again.

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Nice rub n track.
    looks like a beauty ole Parker hale 300win mag?
    Good luck, I'm jealous
    Yup! It is a heavy walking stick but it does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Yup! It is a heavy walking stick but it does the job.
    Love me a heavy smokepole, just feels right. Although the 6# scoped 7-08 is growing on me. 300 nice to have when them big ole bucks turn and come at ya
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

That's a monster rub and a good sized track dana -- good posting on your part - very educational and inspiring for mule deer hunters.

Jell0 -- I think a huge mule has to have a print like a small moose size track or so 4 inches long for a big one --

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    That's a monster rub and a good sized track dana -- good posting on your part - very educational and inspiring for mule deer hunters.

Jell0 -- I think a huge mule has to have a print like a small moose size track or so 4 inches long for a big one --
    A good rule of thumb is if a 300 Win Cartridge can fit into the length of a track and almost the width of a track, you are looking at a track of a Big Buck.