Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Muley Rut is Starting

Re: The Muley Rut is Starting

Thanks for the reply Dana ! Arctic Lake

Hunted your neck of woods this weekend Dana was sure surprised at the lack of deer from years past. The bucks I did see were definitely moving into rut mode.

I have been out a few days over the last week. Deer wire still up high in my neck of the woods. Saw a couple of huge rubs, similar to your picture Dana. Definitely gets me excited. All the does I saw (28 in 2 days) had no bucks hanging out, and all were pretty much bedded up. I agree, tons of night movement, single solitary tracks dragging through the snow covering miles. We don't tend to have a bunch of the beauty fir ridges, so its a little different hunting, but what I did notice is that there was a definite concentration of sign in the 10-15 ft regen. I would be tough to hunt, but I am starting to think that setting up a tree stand along old skidder trails or along fringes of these blocks is the way to go. Anyone have any luck doing so?
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I have been out a few days over the last week. Deer wire still up high in my neck of the woods. Saw a couple of huge rubs, similar to your picture Dana. Definitely gets me excited. All the does I saw (28 in 2 days) had no bucks hanging out, and all were pretty much bedded up. I agree, tons of night movement, single solitary tracks dragging through the snow covering miles. We don't tend to have a bunch of the beauty fir ridges, so its a little different hunting, but what I did notice is that there was a definite concentration of sign in the 10-15 ft regen. I would be tough to hunt, but I am starting to think that setting up a tree stand along old skidder trails or along fringes of these blocks is the way to go. Anyone have any luck doing so?
    Although I generally only glass or bump does in the daylight in the tall Xmas tree slashes, I spotted a giant three years ago on an old backspar trail top of a huge block on edge of old growth early afternoon nov.8 pre-rut. I blew it and missed but during the follow up found multiple beds and rubs along that old backspar. Yet to spot another buck there but they use it heavily at night. I now catch them not far inside that timber patch bedded up quite often. They avoid coming into the tall regen during daylight but have sucked small and medium bucks out to the fringe with rattling and fawn distress calls. I would sit there until dark if the wind is right and would like my chances. Will see what the trail cams say in the spring as it's closed there now and we're snowed out anyway...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Muley rut a tut, what a tat, where it's at! November 18th is coming, whose going?
    Jel -- we want some clear reports and photo's and we want them NOW! --

Was out this past long weekend.
    Rubs were just starting to be made.
    Lots of 2 pt'rs!
    1 4x3 down (not mine)
    Lots of Does, but very little in the way of "big boy/s" sign.
    The lack of virtually no snow does not help my area out, so take my input for what it's worth.
    They might be up much higher this season??