Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Muley Rut is Starting

Re: The Muley Rut is Starting

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    dana some members trying to pin point your main spot by your place Hahahahaha, that's what happens when your famous ---
    --- some think you must be on a game farm Hahahahaha

Jel-Kam --
    The game farm comment made me laugh as well. Considering Kamloops sheep can be seen easily by anyone who wants to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Oh I've had plenty of late bucks still with a lot of fat on them. Keep in mind, it is the younger bucks that run themselves ragged during the rut. Big mature bucks don't very often. A lot of times it is the does that come find them.
    Ah ya wise old buggers know better HA. I was just assuming the old boy I was chasing might be pretty slim end nov/early dec just judging on the miles he been putting on already, coupled with the small amount he seemed to be nibbling...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

The big ones are not running around yet. At least not most of them. one of my partners shot a nice four point this morning that was acting like he was rutting and the king but no does with him and he was young. Nice rack, but not much age. His fat was pure white and not pink tinged at all. Once the older bucks get at it during the rut the fat either goes away entirely or gets really pink.

There is a reason the season closes on Nov 10 in lots of BC. Heavy rut is Nov 17-23 give or take depending on location.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
    The big ones are not running around yet. At least not most of them. one of my partners shot a nice four point this morning that was acting like he was rutting and the king but no does with him and he was young. Nice rack, but not much age. His fat was pure white and not pink tinged at all. Once the older bucks get at it during the rut the fat either goes away entirely or gets really pink.

There is a reason the season closes on Nov 10 in lots of BC. Heavy rut is Nov 17-23 give or take depending on location.
    I would agree. Hear all this rut talk and most the bucks I see hitting the dirt are 3-4 year olds, young and dumb. Ya of course they're running around trying to get a piece of tail before the main event. Still spikes forks and fawns with the does ain't the rut imo.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

You can have breeding anytime between Nov 1 and Dec 10. I have seen the peak normally lands nov 18-21. Some years it is a couple days earlier. Some years it is a couple days later. And each pocket of deer can be different. I believe has a lot to do with how concentrated the does are. If the snow pushes all the does down and they are hanging in the same area, with all those pheromones in the air, they will all come in within a few days of each other and the rut action is insane. If there is little snow and the migration is strung out from valley bottom to the top then the does will come in scattered from early Nov to Dec 10. And rut action is pretty minor. Some early does actually get missed as there are no bucks around to do the breeding. That is why you will see some good rutting action come Dec 8-10 as those does come in for second estrus. The only times I've seen second rut is when there was little to no snow all Nov. Last year was like that in my neck of the woods. I had a little bit of action on Remebrance Day weekend and then nothing until the last weekend with a bunch of action. Years where we get huge dumps and cold move in mid Nov, zero second rut. They are all in winter feeding mode by the last weekend.
    Last edited by dana; 11-11-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Pretty damn accurate Mr.Dana..in preperation for my Alberta hunt was reading biologists papers..the one that caught my attention.was most does are successfully bred and pregnant..I believe he even gave Nov 20 as " the date"..lol what a date..
    Hmm leaving in a few days..back start of Dec..
    Except for wolves my bc season is over..nada..turned everything down..two years in a row..damn..
    Thank you Steve for your knowledge..photos..AND allowing us to watch your children grow up into fine sportsmen..ladies., thank you
    Cheers
    Steven

Ha, I was watching a spike buck yesterday act like a big stud in this big open cut with about 4 inches of snow. He spent about 30 minutes raking the snot out of two separate small willow bushes. He spent the rest of his time criss crossing this hillside checking out 3 different does. Nose in the air, head tilted back, lip curled. He finally got curious about me as I couldn't help but be right out in the open watching him. He came down the hill to within 25 yards of me when his demeanor suddenly changed and he did an about turn and went straight up the hill about 250 yards or more, looking like he was trying to keep his cool but was clearly shaken. Young and dumb.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Seen a three by two muley buck up Noble with two young does checkin him out and gave him away looking at the buck, staring at the buck and I looked and about hundred yards in the sunlight on his rack and back, staring back at the does which were twenty feet from my buddies 4 by -- he's a road hunter --
    Jello -- Buck was checking out the young does butt the two youngins gave the buck away, one was up on her front legs on a stump staring at the young stud mule buck --

Did a little drive this morning checking for sign. Lots of movement again over night. Saw a couple does and a young 3x2 but not much was out and about. Lots of extremly fresh wolf sign pounding it hard. 3, possibly 4 dogs. That makes the life of a deer hunter just a little bit harder. Pieces of the puzzle are coming together as why movement at night and holding tight during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    Seen a three by two muley buck up Noble with two young does checkin him out and gave him away looking at the buck, staring at the buck and I looked and about hundred yards in the sunlight on his rack and back, staring back at the does which were twenty feet from my buddies 4 by -- he's a road hunter --
    Jello -- Buck was checking out the young does butt the two youngins gave the buck away, one was up on her front legs on a stump staring at the young stud mule buck --
    hey you seen that doe on the lease hanging with her big mule deer momma...that flags when she runs away?
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)