Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Muley Rut is Starting

The Muley Rut is Starting

Swollen necks sometimes restricts blood flow to the brain. Had this buck acting stupid today as he sauntered down the road for quite a long time.

Seemed like the skiff of snow had critters moving today. Also ran into this herd of elk. I chose to take photos of the small trees in front of them because I have enough photos of elk.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The Muley Rut is Starting

Right on time, and just in time to close near home
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

What part of the province are you in Dana?

Funny, yesterday in northern Alberta I saw a hog of a wt ( private land, on route to work) on a march for does... I think its more than just the day light through the eye as far as it goes....

Great frame on the elk, terrible genetics as far as tine lengths go.

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Right on time, and just in time to close near home
    On more kick
    extra snow up high seems to have moved them down this year
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    On more kick
    extra snow up high seems to have moved them down this year
    I dissagree. Snow before freeze up lots of grub left insulated by the snow and easy to get at it. Does, fawns and immature bucks at 6500' in two feet of snow up to the last day I hunted on the 6th. Bucks still wandering at night, followed one into the timber 12 hrs after track/rub was made. There he was bedded all alone middle of the day 6000' below all the does swollen neck broken tines and a hint of stink. I put a lot of miles on in 7 days up there. Eyed over 30 mulies up in the timber/alpine still. 12-30" of snow really wore out my stubby legs but doesn't even phase a mule deer. Not a hint of migration yet in this area anyway. Just my experience though, urban deer are a different breed not apples to apples imo.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Great frame on the elk, terrible genetics as far as tine lengths go.
    Terrible genetics? I don't think so. The Big 7 was probably his grandfather. I would say it is rather the case of being a young bull that is still yet to show his genetic potential.

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    I dissagree. Snow before freeze up lots of grub left insulated by the snow and easy to get at it. Does, fawns and immature bucks at 6500' in two feet of snow up to the last day I hunted on the 6th. Bucks still wandering at night, followed one into the timber 12 hrs after track/rub was made. There he was bedded all alone middle of the day 6000' below all the does swollen neck broken tines and a hint of stink. I put a lot of miles on in 7 days up there. Eyed over 30 mulies up in the timber/alpine still. 12-30" of snow really wore out my stubby legs but doesn't even phase a mule deer. Not a hint of migration yet in this area anyway. Just my experience though, urban deer are a different breed not apples to apples imo.
    Agree...
    There are herds that begin to move at first frost..some of the deer in the south Chilcotins are out by mid Oct. it is not about elevations...aspect, proximity to winter feed, snow load and interception. What encompasses the “summer range” and what is the “winter”. There is high country that deer move into late fall. All “ high country” is not created equal..
    This is why you need to hunt sign...
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

^^^^i agree that some areas are different than others, I was hunting a sub alpine location a month ago and everything was already moved down - weird, and there was only a 1' or so of snow...Dana that was a nice buck, was he not a 4 point? You wanted something a little bigger?